how do you guys compare Gesshin 2000+4000 & bester 1200+Suehiro Rika 5000??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pachowder

Reaction score
I started a reassurance thread and wanted to start a new on based on Charles question since it was a good one and I didn't want it to be buried and not respinded too...thoughts?

I see the Bester and Suehiro recommended much more than the Gesshin

That's because the Bester 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5k are excellent entry level stones, at less than half the price of the Gesshin 2000/4000 ($100 vs $230). Most people looking for entry level stones balk somewhat at the Gesshin prices.

I've used three of the four and the Gesshins are well worth the price.

Rick

I think that because Bester and Suehiro in the market for long time & lots place sell those stone. on the other hand, "Gesshin" is JKI's house brand and on the market "not too long ago"??....I'm not sure when....

That's because the Bester 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5k are excellent entry level stones, at less than half the price of the Gesshin 2000/4000 ($100 vs $230). Most people looking for entry level stones balk somewhat at the Gesshin prices.

I've used three of the four and the Gesshins are well worth the price.

Rick

so Rick, basically, in your opinion, Gesshins 2000+4000 have better performance?? do you mind give us more detail information compare those stones' performance??

Why are you looking at the 2k to 4k jump? If you are looking for a finer edge and higher polish, you can go from the 2k to the 6k. FWIW, I talked to Jon at JKI about this and considered buying the 6k for this reason.

Instead, I decided to keep using my King 6k and bought a Takashima Awasedo as a finishing stone instead (primarily for single bevel, carbon steel knives). I stop at the 2k for most of my daily use knives.

Since this a reassurance thread, I feel I should add that what stones are best or are "best performing" really depends on a number of factors - your knives, the kind of edge you are looking for, the level of polish, speed that the stone cuts, the feel/feedback of the stone, how much a stone dishes, and the edge and finish the stones leave.

If you already have a Bester 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5k, don't worry, they are good stones and better than many out there. However, if you are looking to buy stones, a little more info about what you are looking for as far as characteristics and price would help us assist you.

so Rick, basically, in your opinion, Gesshins 2000+4000 have better performance?? do you mind give us more detail information compare those stones' performance??

I'll speak to the Gesshin 2000 vs the Bester 1200, as I don't have a Gesshin 4000.

In my experience, the two stones cut about as quickly, but the Gesshin doesn't dish as quickly. The edge off the Gesshin is quite suitable for general kitchen use without any further polish, while the edge from the Bester begs for a higher grit or some stropping. If you were to buy only one stone, the Gesshin 2000 would do quite nicely.

Rick

thanks, Rick. that is what I needs to know!!:lol2:

I'll speak to the Gesshin 2000 vs the Bester 1200, as I don't have a Gesshin 4000.

In my experience, the two stones cut about as quickly, but the Gesshin doesn't dish as quickly. The edge off the Gesshin is quite suitable for general kitchen use without any further polish, while the edge from the Bester begs for a higher grit or some stropping. If you were to buy only one stone, the Gesshin 2000 would do quite nicely.

Rick

Since this a reassurance thread, I feel I should add that what stones are best or are "best performing" really depends on a number of factors - your knives, the kind of edge you are looking for, the level of polish, speed that the stone cuts, the feel/feedback of the stone, how much a stone dishes, and the edge and finish the stone......
Michael, thanks for feedback! that is so typical, we all know we want a stone good for all kinds of steel(carbon, semi- stainless, stainless & powdered steel) good feedback, fast cutting but not too hard for kitchen knives, resists dishing well, good finish with nice toothy! I just needs people's opinion who have experience used all those stones!!:spin chair:

The 1200 Bester & 5K Rika,you cannot lose for 100.00.Saying that I like the Gesshins as well,have the 2K which is one of my favorite medium stones.

good thread and responses. looks like i will give the 1200 and 5k a run for a bit and who knows, maybe next christmas santa might upgrade me..or maybe I will be more than happy. time will tell. thanks guys and gals!

I've owned and used all four stones. I know of a couple of folks that think the G2k drinks water too quickly. I don't notice any practical difference in that respect. I agree with Rick's assessment. The G4k is like a finer version of the G2k. Very similar stones in most respects. The Rika is very different from the other three stones. It is a bit slower than the G4k and relatively soft and muddy. This is particularly useful if you want to make a nice, even finish on a large bevel. I have since done away with my Bester but I have retained my Rika although I rarely use it. I have generally substituted the Awasedo for the Rika.

I dont have the bester or Rika but i do have the Gesshing 400, 2k and 4k.

I was using a minosharp 1k and king 6k before.

The gesshing 2000 is a great stone in my opinion and probably my favorite among all my stones. It cuts faster than my 1k stones, it also leave a very useable edge for kitchen knives around the house. I like further refinement for my work knives though.

As TK mentioned the 4k is basically a finer version of the 2k which i completely agree with.

if you already have a rika 5k, would it be worth it to get a gesshin 6k? i am liking the rika just fine but would consider a higher grit if it helps edge retention. i normally just strop on a piece of cardboard (with stainless steel polishing spray that can be found at walgreens for convenience) due to time saving which matters quite a bit in pro kitchen use.

i say get the 8k for polish =D

5k and 6k are too close to each other.

if you already have a rika 5k, would it be worth it to get a gesshin 6k? i am liking the rika just fine but would consider a higher grit if it helps edge retention. i normally just strop on a piece of cardboard (with stainless steel polishing spray that can be found at walgreens for convenience) due to time saving which matters quite a bit in pro kitchen use.

i say get the 8k for polish =D

5k and 6k are too close to each other.

Sometimes I use the Rika 5k followed by the Gesshin 5k. It's not always about grit ratings.

Going to a higher grit will not ness. increase your edge retention.Alot of that depends on the type of steel & how the edge is sharpened.I used a Rika 5K to refresh the edges on my yanagi's(blue & white steel)after heavy use.I like the Rika for finishing off carbons Gyuto & Single bevel japan blades.The feedback is good & gets the edges screaming sharp.

Also your use of deburring on cardboard works well.

Sometimes I use the Rika 5k followed by the Gesshin 5k. It's not always about grit ratings.
Absolutely. :thumbsup: This is one of the reasons why I still have and occasionally use a that awful Kitayama 8k, among others. :)

@panda

if you cut sushi with your knife, like say using a sujihiki or a yanagi. an 8k finished blade would cut the fish much better and smoother, which is what a sushi chef would want in an end product.

=D

Absolutely. :thumbsup: This is one of the reasons why I still have and occasionally use a that awful Kitayama 8k, among others. :)

Well, that and the other reason is that you are a hoarder who never gets rid of anything.

I'll speak to the Gesshin 2000 vs the Bester 1200.... the Gesshin doesn't dish as quickly.

Rick I'm surprised you mentioned the Gesshin not dishing as quickly as the Bester.

I've had the same Bester 1200 for over 3 years now, sharpened what seems like thousands of knives (including high wear resistant steels like S90V, ZDP189, M390, M4, etc), and this thing has so much life left in it -- just went to measure, it is just a hair under 2 cm thick.

Mine has been perma-soaked for all this time, and I continuously use DMT XXC to get it creamy before use.

I'm sure the Gesshin are really great stones, and maybe I'd even prefer them over my staples...but just to relieve the OP, the Bester 1200 is a great stone that many people love.

Rick I'm surprised you mentioned the Gesshin not dishing as quickly as the Bester.

I've had the same Bester 1200 for over 3 years now, sharpened what seems like thousands of knives (including high wear resistant steels like S90V, ZDP189, M390, M4, etc), and this thing has so much life left in it -- just went to measure, it is just a hair under 2 cm thick.

Mine has been perma-soaked for all this time, and I continuously use DMT XXC to get it creamy before use.

I'm sure the Gesshin are really great stones, and maybe I'd even prefer them over my staples...but just to relieve the OP, the Bester 1200 is a great stone that many people love.

Nothing at all wrong with the Bester 1200, but my point was that if I was given the choice, I'd buy the Gesshin 2000 over it.

How about a combo of the Gesshin 1000 and 5000 Splash and Go's?

How about a combo of the Gesshin 1000 and 5000 Splash and Go's?
These are my current kitchen knife workhorses. They are very nice stones in every regard although splash n gos are generally somewhat slower than soakers. They don't dish quickly, and are effective on pretty much any steel from simple carbon to the high wear resistance steels. The 5k gives a surprisingly bright polish and Jon has mentioned it is particularly suited to burr reduction.

Back