Recommend the perfect summer drink

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alcoholic?

Caipirinhas are good. Many recipes out there, I prefer just Cachaça, lime juice, and honey or agave nectar. Making a simple syrup with Sugar in the Raw is also good. The granules are too big to dissolve in a muddle, so I cook them in a simple syrup and use that instead.

Also, this.
IMG_0283.JPG

Good Arnold Palmer

I love a good Salty Dog with fresh squeezed juice, served up (or over if I'm cooking in the sun). This drink also makes a healthy breakfast :)

Mojito's always hit the spot, it's tough to get a well made one though. It's fun to throw random fresh fruit in them in the summer: pineapple, watermelon, mango, and cucumber are all good. Just stay away from really seedy stuff i.e. raspberries.

If you're the whiskey type, which I often am, a Mint Julep is a pleasurable warm weather beverage. Just don't be cheap on your bourbon!

For wine a good Champagne is surely the king, Bollinger is always appropriate.
Muscadet is a personal favorite of mine, Albarino is also winning.

Home made sangria
Hendricks tonic with cucumber

2 oz of your favorite tequila 4 oz of pineapple juice and 1 oz pomegranate juice.
Kind of like a tequila sunrise, but this is even better. I never heard a name for it, but I order this if they have the ingredients on hand, hawaian sunrise maybe?

Being one who prefers bourbon without stuff in it, I tend to pass on the mint julips. But the Kremlin Colonel has a similar feel for the times when straight booze isn't in the cards.

2oz vodka
1/4 oz lime juice
1/2 tsp sugar

Shake, serve over rocks with bruised mint leaves.

giner-peach mojito made w/ fresh Palisades peacehs!!!

I have to agree on the Mint Julep and Mojito, but this summer I've chosen the Cuba Libre. My personal favorite is Ron Zacapa Centenario rum, juice of 1/4 lime, and DIET Coke. Don't know why, but Diet Coke is better for a Cuba Libre. Maybe because it's less sweet. If you don't feel like spending the $$ for the Ron Zacapa, or if you can't find it around you, Cruzan (preferably the 12 year) is a good substitute.

-d

Kettle One.....up. Winter, summer spring, no dif.

I'm with you there Salty. Vodka straight is my go-to drink. I usually put a half cube of crushed ice in it or just chill it really good. But I have the luxury of going to Ukraine often and bringing back the good stuff. A couple of years back I hosted a blind vodka tasting. Stoli Elite won, second was Hanger One, and third was Beluga Gold.

k.

Mint juleps with Makers Mark or mojitos when I want it boozy. On a lighter side, 50/50 white wine and tonic water with lots of lemon. One of my favorite virgin ones: Fresh mint leaves & a tablespoon of ginger sirup over crushed ice, filled up with Sprite or club soda (works with basil also).

Stefan

mojitos are the best way to drink a bottle of rum without realizing it. :)

Gin out of the freezer with a twist of lime. If I'm really thirsty it gets some tonic, but that's rare. More often than not, thirsty means beer.

I highly recommend North Shore Distiller's #6. North Shore is a great little distiller out of Illinois who do everything in small batches and whatnot. According to their website you can only get their stuff in California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Ontario, Pennsylvania, Washington and Wisconsin. I have no idea how Ontario ended up on that list, but I'm very grateful.

Paloma-Tequila, grapefruit juice, lime, soda water

Gin out of the freezer with a twist of lime. If I'm really thirsty it gets some tonic, but that's rare. More often than not, thirsty means beer.

I highly recommend North Shore Distiller's #6. North Shore is a great little distiller out of Illinois who do everything in small batches and whatnot. According to their website you can only get their stuff in California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Ontario, Pennsylvania, Washington and Wisconsin. I have no idea how Ontario ended up on that list, but I'm very grateful.

i haven't had Distiller's #6, yet. Blue Coat, Junipero and Hendrick's are my favorites, in that order.

i haven't had Distiller's #6, yet. Blue Coat, Junipero and Hendrick's are my favorites, in that order.

In Ontario, I can only seem to find major international brands. Of them, I was always a fan of Hendrick's, Bulldog and Sapphire. I much prefer #6, though I can't say how it stacks up to Blue Coat or Junipero, as they've never been available.

I like Rieslings from Alsace but they cost an arm and a leg here. German's are definite crowd pleasers. Most of my faves come from MSR but it's hard to find a bad one lately.

Back