A new project, a set with meteorite and ivory

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
One of the forum members has commissioned a 3 piece set of paring knife, petty and gyuto in a patterned meteorite damascus.
He has given me permission to do a WIP as well.
Enjoy the ride!
The meteorite.
100_1218.jpg

Woowoo! I think this'll be a pretty cool project :)

Wow - this is going to be interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how you smelt that rock.

Too cool. Is that a Gibeon meteorite and is it big enough to maybe get some thin slices out of the center to use as buttcap material?:thumbsup:

Too cool. Is that a Gibeon meteorite and is it big enough to maybe get some thin slices out of the center to use as buttcap material?:thumbsup:
No it's Campo de Cielo, haven't had any Gibeon for awhile, it's gotten a bit pricey. Of course none of this stuff is cheap.
Del

Thats awesome! I would love to see pictures of the end results. :D

Being a geologist, I know that chunk of meteorite was not cheap unless your client found it.

This should be an interesting of set of cutlery

looking forward to seeing WIP post!!:hungry:

Being a geologist, I know that chunk of meteorite was not cheap unless your client found it.

This should be an interesting of set of cutlery

No it wasn't and I have a sister piece of similar size.

this will be a WIP, with fairly regular updates.
In fact I should have some more pics later tonight, if I can get them posted.
Del

No it's Campo de Cielo, haven't had any Gibeon for awhile, it's gotten a bit pricey. Of course none of this stuff is cheap.
Del
Okay, so it wasn't just me. I was looking at bolster/buttcap size slices of Gibeon last night and they seemed like they had gotten REALLY expensive. I hadn't priced them in a couple of years, mind you.

I can't wait to see the WIP on this one, im really excited. good luck Del

here are some more pics, me turning the meteorite into a bar I can add to the damascus.

100_1226.jpg100_1227.jpg100_1228.jpg100_1229.jpg100_1230.jpg

100_1231.jpg100_1232.jpg100_1233.jpg

some of the pics I took twice, with flash and without
Thanks,
Del

I cannot wait to see how my knives turn out!

Also, No meteorite Damascus thread is complete without the Joe dirt reference. that you EC!

Awesome, Del! I have to admit, I'm in maker mode, and all I kept strain at was your hammer and anvil. Haha.
Can't wait to see how this turns out!

I know this one's gonna be good, can't wait to see more WIPs, good luck Del.

Wow--awesome project! Thanks for doing the wip, Del!

:popcorn:OH this is going to be good

100_1234.jpg100_1236.jpg100_1237.jpg100_1238.jpg100_1239.jpg100_1240.jpg

did this the other day, forging of the damascus billet, just have to draw it out for twisting
Del

Back