Quantcast
Kono HD review from a white#2 whore - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kono HD review from a white#2 whore

Jarrod,

Great write-up and pictures, thanks for sharing. I have a Konosuke 240mm White #2 Gyuto that I'm waiting to send to Marko once he gets some time.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by jheis View Post
    Not to highjack the thread, but can someone explain to me why there is such a large gap between the ferrule and the machi on Konosukis. I don't see this on other J knives (I have a Konosuki stainless 240 gyuto - which I'm very happy with - just don't understand the gap).

James
    its a preference issue... you tend to see it from some people and not from others. It is more prevelent in kanto area makers than kansai area makers, but Konosuke (being in osaka) is not alone in leaving the machi gap in their region. Some makers are willing to change it for special orders and some are really set in their ways and like the way it is.

James, that gap IS the machi. The neck is called the emoto. See http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/jbladeant.shtml

The main thing to note with a machi is that USUALY knives that have a machi are measured from the end of the machi to the blade tip, and knives that don't are measured from the heel of the blade to the tip. Watanabe for example has a machi on his yanagi, so a 300 mm yanagi will actually be about 290 on the blade, whereas his deba has no machi and ergo a 210 deba will have a 210 edge.

+ Reply to Thread