Kono HD review from a white#2 whore

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadillac J

Founding Member
Reaction score
So it has been a week with my 270 Konosuke HD suji now, and I think I’ve had enough time with it to make my personal comparison between the white#2 which I know and love.

The HD steel felt really good on the stones, and although it didn’t quite have that refinement of white#2, it was closer than I expected it to be for semi-stainless steel. However, the white can take a keener edge versus the HD from my experience…I sharpened both sides with the spine maybe 3 millimeters off the stone face with a 90/10 asymmetry with a slight hamaguriba on the face(just like with my white), but upon using it I noticed minute chipping for the first time ever…but instead of re-sharpening with a more obtuse angle, I just added a micro-bevel (which I normally don’t do) and the issue went away with no loss in performance.

I can say that I think the white#2 gets just a tad bit sharper, but the difference is barely noticeable…but what IS noticeable is how the HD holds that edge for a longer period of time. As far as edge retention and holding abilities, it seems very similar to that of the 19c27 in my Suisin inox honyaki petty. Although steels like the HD/CarboNext are referred to as ‘semi-stainless’, my 19c27 seems to have more patterns/coloring on the blade over longer use than my CarboNext does—hmm.

The difference between the 300 and 270 sujis is much more than I thought it would be—their profiles and blade shapes aren’t just smaller/larger copies of one another at all…I actually prefer the 270 shape better as it is narrower and more streamlined. The most noticeable difference in use and cutting is the balance point (as you can see in the picture). The HD 270 balance point is a millimeter or so in front of the ferrule, while both the white#2 gyuto(270) and suji both are more blade-heavy with the balance point almost an inch in front of the choil. Not sure if this is HD/white#2 or just size specific, or possibly has anything to do with the weight difference of the ebony handle, etc? (maybe Jon could comment on the 270 white#2 suji balance point) But it makes for a different cutting experience—I actually like both depending on what type of cutting I am doing.

After using both, I really can’t say I prefer or favor the white#2 or the HD…both are equally awesome, just depends on what your needs and likes are. For now, the HD is going to replace my 300 as my go-to knife for a while just because it is new and I want to get more in touch with it. This isn’t a very detailed review, but hopefully gave some insights to anyone who is deciding between the two lines. Here are some pictures…

9puxs7.jpg

2mgp93p.jpg

2lbylua.jpg

2yv6o21.jpg

m8e9hy.jpg

10foym8.jpg

jp7cs9.jpg

6omu0l.jpg

With the differences in balance, what tasks do you use the different knives for?

Beautiful knives and looking forward to hearing more thoughts on them as you use them more. As an aside, where did you get the knife rack that you are displaying them on?

@mhlee - I don't choose one or the other based on what I'm cutting, it is just that the HD seems more agile/maneuverable with tip work, while the 300 seems weighted better for push-cutting at the heel/mid point. Both are good for all types of cuts, I just wanted to point this out as it was a bit unexpected when I first picked it up.

@UglyJoe - that rack was built by my father-in-law...I just showed him the one from Korin and he threw this together for me at the end of last year. Here is a side picture.
nytfg0.jpg

Also, I noticed how much lighter the ferrule is in real life versus the pics that Jon sent me before shipping. I was expecting more of a light brown color, but it was blonde in person...I like it, but just wanted to mention that different lighting can alter the perception of specific colors.
30w5hmb.jpg

Very nice write up!

Ok your house is on fire and you can only grab one of the knives...Which one?

I am in need of a 270mm semi or full stainless wa suji. And I don't have a Kono yet (don't really like their gyuto profile). For some reason I like trying a different brand every time rather than buying more of the same.

Very nice write up!

Ok your house is on fire and you can only grab one of the knives...Which one?

Oh man, why do you have to put it like that. Hmm, in that case, I would probably take the HD just because I like the overall size better and the handle is pretty pimp.

JohnnyC, I really think you'd like this HD suji a lot...unless you go custom, I don't really see much that can beat it right now.

JohnnyC, I really think you'd like this HD suji a lot...unless you go custom, I don't really see much that can beat it right now.

I like how much slimmer it is than the 300mm. Again what I would be looking for, the ones with more heel dont feel much different from a gyuto. And the ebony with blonde horn is nice.

Cut any potatoes or big items with it yet? How is it wedging wise?

And I like your balancing act photo. Will have to add that one to my write ups.

Not to highjack the thread, but can someone explain to me why there is such a large gap between the ferrule and the machi on Konosukis. I don't see this on other J knives (I have a Konosuki stainless 240 gyuto - which I'm very happy with - just don't understand the gap).

James

Jarrod,

Great write-up and pictures, thanks for sharing. I have a Konosuke 240mm White #2 Gyuto that I'm waiting to send to Marko once he gets some time.

Not to highjack the thread, but can someone explain to me why there is such a large gap between the ferrule and the machi on Konosukis. I don't see this on other J knives (I have a Konosuki stainless 240 gyuto - which I'm very happy with - just don't understand the gap).

James

its a preference issue... you tend to see it from some people and not from others. It is more prevelent in kanto area makers than kansai area makers, but Konosuke (being in osaka) is not alone in leaving the machi gap in their region. Some makers are willing to change it for special orders and some are really set in their ways and like the way it is.

James, that gap IS the machi. The neck is called the emoto. See http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/jbladeant.shtml

The main thing to note with a machi is that USUALY knives that have a machi are measured from the end of the machi to the blade tip, and knives that don't are measured from the heel of the blade to the tip. Watanabe for example has a machi on his yanagi, so a 300 mm yanagi will actually be about 290 on the blade, whereas his deba has no machi and ergo a 210 deba will have a 210 edge.

Back