Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 98

Thread: Pictures/videos of new/unknown makers

  1. #41
    Senior Member ChuckTheButcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arlington Virginia
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    he is a student of Tai Goo in the neotribal school of bladesmithing if I remember.
    Yeah I saw that on his website. I'm just not sure if that's a good thing when it comes to kitchen knives.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

  2. #42

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    4,235
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTheButcher View Post
    Here's another one. Does anyone know about Don Carlos Andrade. I know a few places that sell his knives including EE, and local shop here in DC. I haven't heard anyone say anything about how well work. They look funky that's for sure and I haven't seen anyone here talk about him. He has his name in some big name places though.Attachment 17887
    This one is up on Etsy. Wildly overpriced, I might add. If it cuts as good as it looks, it might be a deal in you lop off a couple of 0's.
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

  3. #43

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    4,235
    I almost pulled the trigger on this one from Guinea Hog a while back, but I just couldn't get it to work for me. In hindsight, I should have given it more time. A beautiful piece of work. Name:  m_degaeta complete_0005.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  48.5 KBName:  m_degaeta complete_0028.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  64.6 KB
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vail, AZ
    Posts
    768
    Wow, that fit and finish looks impeccable.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    sachem allison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    4,068
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTheButcher View Post
    Yeah I saw that on his website. I'm just not sure if that's a good thing when it comes to kitchen knives.
    I have used a couple and I don't ;ike how they feel or cut at all lots of wedging, thick behind the edge and they just don't feel good on the stones or in the hand for long periods of time. I think it's funny when people want to make things tribal they think they have to look unfinished or cobbled together. Almost without exception I find authentic tribal pieces to be quite refined and elegant and very much designed in the philosophy of form follows function. That is not always the case with the neo tribal movement. With that said, there are some amazing makers who get it and do phenomenal work. I find his work to be rather expensive for what you are getting but, for some one else it may be a bargain.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Hmmmm! Moriah Cowles of Orchard Steel Knives, who worked with Joel at Cut Brooklyn.

    Looks like one of Don's knives. I like it.

    Good stuff in this thread.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    sachem allison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    4,068
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I have used a couple and I don't ;ike how they feel or cut at all lots of wedging, thick behind the edge and they just don't feel good on the stones or in the hand for long periods of time. I think it's funny when people want to make things tribal they think they have to look unfinished or cobbled together. Almost without exception I find authentic tribal pieces to be quite refined and elegant and very much designed in the philosophy of form follows function. That is not always the case with the neo tribal movement. With that said, there are some amazing makers who get it and do phenomenal work. I find his work to be rather expensive for what you are getting but, for some one else it may be a bargain.
    Let me clarify , the knive I used were made a few years ago when he first started making kitchen knives and like many knifemakers who aren't familiar with making kitchen knives he brought the hunting, outdoor camping knife geometry to it and it felt clunky and didn't cut food well. I have not used any of his later works and could not testify to how good they are as cutters. They look like they would work okay at home but, may fatigue you after many hours of prep in a professional kitchen.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vail, AZ
    Posts
    768
    Daniel Fairly, a great maker who makes various types of knives, finished a batch of kitchen knives. I'm liking this one he did:

    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Posts
    907
    Hmmmm......

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Daniel Fairly, a great maker who makes various types of knives, finished a batch of kitchen knives. I'm liking this one he did:



    If the neck were longer...that might look semi familiar Don...lol.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •