Quantcast
Pictures/videos of new/unknown makers
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pictures/videos of new/unknown makers

Pictures/videos of new/unknown makers

I love seeing work from people I don't normally hear of or are new. If any of you have pictures of knives like that, please post them!

Here is a picture of Van Zanten's 220 Damascus that he posted on a different forum that I thought looked incredible. I love the handle shape and the bolster. You can guess where his influences are

Seems like it cuts really well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sS-8PU9UOsM

He's actually posted on this forum a couple of times, showing off his sharpening contraption: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...harpening-tool

EDIT: He might be pretty well known, but this is the first time I've seen his work and I really like it.

looks a lot like a kramer =D

Looks great

Here are some from E. Scott Mcghee - I absolutely love his handle shapes.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Here are some from E. Scott Mcghee - I absolutely love his handle shapes.

Downward facing handles suck to use and mess up my wrists but I like the McGhee knives too.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

I think his designs favor more for general utility knives rather than kitchen knives, especially with that downward handle. With that said, the overall profiles and shapes are really nice I think. They look super sleek.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    After seeing Van's knife like that I'm sure that is what he had in his sharpening tool.
    Chewie's the man.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    2 companies/makers close me are Middleton Made Knives and Williams Knife Company. As much as I would like to be a homer and get some knives made locally, I've never handled either. I have a hard time forking over that kind of $$$ for something I've never tried out or even heard a review on.
    The Williams knife co. has a really awesome looking oyster knife, but it's $275!!!!!
    For $275 that thing had better come with like 15 bushels of oysters!
    Does anyone have any thoughts or past experiences with either of these guys?
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    2 companies/makers close me are Middleton Made Knives and Williams Knife Company...
    Does anyone have any thoughts or past experiences with either of these guys?
    I don't think anyone has used a Middleton blade, but there was a post or two on him about a year ago. Here is one. He lists Michael Rader and Kramer as an influence on his website, so he at least he is looking in the right direction for inspiration.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    I love seeing work from people I don't normally hear of or are new. If any of you have pictures of knives like that, please post them!

Here is a picture of Van Zanten's 220 Damascus that he posted on a different forum that I thought looked incredible. I love the handle shape and the bolster. You can guess where his influences are
    I have to say that I cringe when I see knives that look too much like a Kramer. I am sure they are good knives and made by capable craftsmen, but I just would never go there. I know vendors on this forum use Japanese makers as a starting point when coming up with their own blade profiles or designs, but in these cases I often feel they are tweaking them to make them better (different steel, grind etc.) and upgrading the handle. When a Krameresque knife comes along, I almost always feel that it isn't an upgrade -- just a trend following experiment.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson