Quantcast
Pictures/videos of new/unknown makers - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pictures/videos of new/unknown makers

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    2 companies/makers close me are Middleton Made Knives and Williams Knife Company. As much as I would like to be a homer and get some knives made locally, I've never handled either. I have a hard time forking over that kind of $$$ for something I've never tried out or even heard a review on.
    The Williams knife co. has a really awesome looking oyster knife, but it's $275!!!!!
    For $275 that thing had better come with like 15 bushels of oysters!
    Does anyone have any thoughts or past experiences with either of these guys?
    The scary thing is that the oyster knives look really pointy and sharp. Not what you want if you like your hands and really unnecessary in my humble opinion!

I'm not just saying this, but Luke's oyster knives and shrimp knives look awesome! He can't say it, but I just did.

Also, I contacted Quintin Middleton and he seemed like a cordial guy, but nothing came of it. I'm still interested in seeing what his knives are all about, so it too bad he didn't follow up.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I have to say that I cringe when I see knives that look too much like a Kramer. I am sure they are good knives and made by capable craftsmen, but I just would never go there. I know vendors on this forum use Japanese makers as a starting point when coming up with their own blade profiles or designs, but in these cases I often feel they are tweaking them to make them better (different steel, grind etc.) and upgrading the handle. When a Krameresque knife comes along, I almost always feel that it isn't an upgrade -- just a trend following experiment.

k.
    I think he said that he made that knife so, that he could test out his sharpening system on a Kramer without having to actually mess up a kramer.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

"The knife is made by me. I made it to get a feeling for kramers knives. I've got my own design ready now (primarily focusing on the right convexes right now ;-)"

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I think he said that he made that knife so, that he could test out his sharpening system on a Kramer without having to actually mess up a kramer.
    Roger that, and thanks for the clarification. I guess that is crazy dedicated in a good way then.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I think his name is Frithjof Güttler.

I'd like to bump this again. There has been some inspiring work out there that I've been oogling.

Here are a couple from C. Anderson. Love the handles, and I'm a fan of the pointy profile. Plus, those hamons are off the wall!

Mike Mooney's suji:

I often find myself staring at that one for extended periods of time.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Wow. I can see myself doing that.
    Chewie's the man.

Hmmmm! Moriah Cowles of Orchard Steel Knives, who worked with Joel at Cut Brooklyn.

this looks a lot sexier then cut brooklyn's

+ Reply to Thread