Quantcast
Pictures/videos of new/unknown makers - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pictures/videos of new/unknown makers

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    he is a student of Tai Goo in the neotribal school of bladesmithing if I remember.
    Yeah I saw that on his website. I'm just not sure if that's a good thing when it comes to kitchen knives.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTheButcher View Post
    Here's another one. Does anyone know about Don Carlos Andrade. I know a few places that sell his knives including EE, and local shop here in DC. I haven't heard anyone say anything about how well work. They look funky that's for sure and I haven't seen anyone here talk about him. He has his name in some big name places though.Attachment 17887
    This one is up on Etsy. Wildly overpriced, I might add. If it cuts as good as it looks, it might be a deal in you lop off a couple of 0's.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I almost pulled the trigger on this one from Guinea Hog a while back, but I just couldn't get it to work for me. In hindsight, I should have given it more time. A beautiful piece of work. Name:  m_degaeta complete_0005.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  48.5 KBName:  m_degaeta complete_0028.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  64.6 KB
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Wow, that fit and finish looks impeccable.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTheButcher View Post
    Yeah I saw that on his website. I'm just not sure if that's a good thing when it comes to kitchen knives.
    I have used a couple and I don't ;ike how they feel or cut at all lots of wedging, thick behind the edge and they just don't feel good on the stones or in the hand for long periods of time. I think it's funny when people want to make things tribal they think they have to look unfinished or cobbled together. Almost without exception I find authentic tribal pieces to be quite refined and elegant and very much designed in the philosophy of form follows function. That is not always the case with the neo tribal movement. With that said, there are some amazing makers who get it and do phenomenal work. I find his work to be rather expensive for what you are getting but, for some one else it may be a bargain.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Hmmmm! Moriah Cowles of Orchard Steel Knives, who worked with Joel at Cut Brooklyn.

Looks like one of Don's knives. I like it.

Good stuff in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I have used a couple and I don't ;ike how they feel or cut at all lots of wedging, thick behind the edge and they just don't feel good on the stones or in the hand for long periods of time. I think it's funny when people want to make things tribal they think they have to look unfinished or cobbled together. Almost without exception I find authentic tribal pieces to be quite refined and elegant and very much designed in the philosophy of form follows function. That is not always the case with the neo tribal movement. With that said, there are some amazing makers who get it and do phenomenal work. I find his work to be rather expensive for what you are getting but, for some one else it may be a bargain.
    Let me clarify , the knive I used were made a few years ago when he first started making kitchen knives and like many knifemakers who aren't familiar with making kitchen knives he brought the hunting, outdoor camping knife geometry to it and it felt clunky and didn't cut food well. I have not used any of his later works and could not testify to how good they are as cutters. They look like they would work okay at home but, may fatigue you after many hours of prep in a professional kitchen.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Daniel Fairly, a great maker who makes various types of knives, finished a batch of kitchen knives. I'm liking this one he did:

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Daniel Fairly, a great maker who makes various types of knives, finished a batch of kitchen knives. I'm liking this one he did:

If the neck were longer...that might look semi familiar Don...lol.

+ Reply to Thread