Media Pictures/videos of new/unknown makers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Nguyen

Reaction score
I love seeing work from people I don't normally hear of or are new. If any of you have pictures of knives like that, please post them!

Here is a picture of Van Zanten's 220 Damascus that he posted on a different forum that I thought looked incredible. I love the handle shape and the bolster. You can guess where his influences are :)

koksmes_vanzanten_a.jpg

koksmesvanzanten220nova.jpg

koksmesvanzanten220nove.jpg

koksmesvanzanten220novh.jpg

Seems like it cuts really well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sS-8PU9UOsM

He's actually posted on this forum a couple of times, showing off his sharpening contraption: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/7064-My-sharpening-tool

EDIT: He might be pretty well known, but this is the first time I've seen his work and I really like it.

Here are some from E. Scott Mcghee - I absolutely love his handle shapes.

m_chef8_0010.jpg

Mini_Chef-1.jpg

m_paringtrio_0013.jpg

Mini_Chef-3.jpg

I think his designs favor more for general utility knives rather than kitchen knives, especially with that downward handle. With that said, the overall profiles and shapes are really nice I think. They look super sleek.

After seeing Van's knife like that I'm sure that is what he had in his sharpening tool.

2 companies/makers close me are Middleton Made Knives and Williams Knife Company. As much as I would like to be a homer and get some knives made locally, I've never handled either. I have a hard time forking over that kind of $$$ for something I've never tried out or even heard a review on.
The Williams knife co. has a really awesome looking oyster knife, but it's $275!!!!!
For $275 that thing had better come with like 15 bushels of oysters!
Does anyone have any thoughts or past experiences with either of these guys?

2 companies/makers close me are Middleton Made Knives and Williams Knife Company...

I don't think anyone has used a Middleton blade, but there was a post or two on him about a year ago. Here is one. He lists Michael Rader and Kramer as an influence on his website, so he at least he is looking in the right direction for inspiration.

k.

I love seeing work from people I don't normally hear of or are new. If any of you have pictures of knives like that, please post them!

Here is a picture of Van Zanten's 220 Damascus that he posted on a different forum that I thought looked incredible. I love the handle shape and the bolster. You can guess where his influences are :)

I have to say that I cringe when I see knives that look too much like a Kramer. I am sure they are good knives and made by capable craftsmen, but I just would never go there. I know vendors on this forum use Japanese makers as a starting point when coming up with their own blade profiles or designs, but in these cases I often feel they are tweaking them to make them better (different steel, grind etc.) and upgrading the handle. When a Krameresque knife comes along, I almost always feel that it isn't an upgrade -- just a trend following experiment.

k.

2 companies/makers close me are Middleton Made Knives and Williams Knife Company. As much as I would like to be a homer and get some knives made locally, I've never handled either. I have a hard time forking over that kind of $$$ for something I've never tried out or even heard a review on.
The Williams knife co. has a really awesome looking oyster knife, but it's $275!!!!!

The scary thing is that the oyster knives look really pointy and sharp. Not what you want if you like your hands and really unnecessary in my humble opinion!

I'm not just saying this, but Luke's oyster knives and shrimp knives look awesome! He can't say it, but I just did.

Also, I contacted Quintin Middleton and he seemed like a cordial guy, but nothing came of it. I'm still interested in seeing what his knives are all about, so it too bad he didn't follow up.

I have to say that I cringe when I see knives that look too much like a Kramer. I am sure they are good knives and made by capable craftsmen, but I just would never go there. I know vendors on this forum use Japanese makers as a starting point when coming up with their own blade profiles or designs, but in these cases I often feel they are tweaking them to make them better (different steel, grind etc.) and upgrading the handle. When a Krameresque knife comes along, I almost always feel that it isn't an upgrade -- just a trend following experiment.

k.

I think he said that he made that knife so, that he could test out his sharpening system on a Kramer without having to actually mess up a kramer.

"The knife is made by me. I made it to get a feeling for kramers knives. I've got my own design ready now (primarily focusing on the right convexes right now ;-)"

I'd like to bump this again. There has been some inspiring work out there that I've been oogling.

Here are a couple from C. Anderson. Love the handles, and I'm a fan of the pointy profile. Plus, those hamons are off the wall!

IMG_20130628_185224-1.jpg

Mike Mooney's suji:

P1010067.jpg

I often find myself staring at that one for extended periods of time.

Hmmmm! Moriah Cowles of Orchard Steel Knives, who worked with Joel at Cut Brooklyn.

tumblr_mok07xbYy01r804sio1_r7_1280.jpg

I haven't personally but I had a sous chef who swears by middleton knives. I talked to him once to have a knife made about a year ago but never went through with it. He's a really nice guy. I also remember reading about a year ago one of the big name makers saying he is up and coming in the kitchen knife world. Don't remember exactly who said it though. I'm curious if any one else has any experience with his work.

I like her handles better than Joel's. not really a fan of the handle on the blade, but her work looks very good.

tumblr_mpmce2hncZ1r804sio1_1280.jpg

Holey big pic.

I'm sure some of you have seen his work but Phil Wilson's fillets are pretty interesting! I haven't heard of another maker who makes many of them.

9_inch_Punta_Chivato_lg.jpg

David Lisch was kind enough to share these pictures from a smith who worked in his shop.

7gqx.jpg

smyn.jpg

Here's what David said... "Hi Folks I wanted to show you the first knife from a new project I have started with knife maker Mark Maumasi and I think there will be many more. Mark is not a new maker he worked for a very well know kitchen knife maker for a couple of years learning his craft. Mark came to me and ask if I had a job for him and I said nope but I do have a school right next to my blacksmith shop that sits empty 4 to 5 days a week at lest . so Mark has been coming in on his day off from his job as a baker and working on this knife it is his first integral so I had to show him a few tricks but he picked it up very fast as the man has mad skills. now on this knife as we wanted to get going he used a damascus blade that I had made already so my name is on the other said on this one . on the next ones Mark will be making the damascus as well. he picked Maumasi Fire arts as his mark. now he is thinking about leaving his baking job and making kitchen knives 4 or 5 days a week I hope he dose. Now the pics as you will see are not mine these are very nice thanks to a friend of mine and budding knife maker Al Ten . Al came by my shop and took pics of three of my knives "

I love Pierre's fillet. Beautiful piece.

Pete, WOW. That is INSANELY gorgeous. It's kinda busy, but in a good way. Jeez, that handle and that pattern on the blade...

Latest posts

Back