Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: expectations of sharpening for others

expectations of sharpening for others

As the resident knut at my new gig, I'm in the predicament of many turning to me for help. I have been asked to " sharpen" knives several times now, and oblige out of kindness....

Problem is, many of these knives need work; tip/ chip repair, bevel setting, scratch smoothing/ polishing, thinning, etc....

At what point is it too much?

I've found myself putting in 45 minutes on a single knife. I don't even take that time on my own kit (but I take better care to start).

Should I just give them a new edge, and return it in the same beat up condition, just sharp??
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Show them how to sharpen.

If it takes so long, I hope they're buying you a drink or something. Either that or you'll have to set up a little business. Is it possible? Why not. I'm a teacher and I constantly get students trying to get me to do extra stuff for free - sometimes it's just nice to help, but other times you draw the line.

I'm not really interested in profiting from anyone. I like to do things for others. The thing is, most of them don't realize how far gone their knives are. It's hard for me to not have something so beat up, and not try to rehab it. Most are usually appreciative, and surprised. But now that I've done it for several, I feel obligated to continue...

There are a lot of abused knives out there...

Two questions, if you don't mind. What knives are involved? Could you develop an "express mode", involving just P320 sandpaper, and J800 and 3k stones, the last for stropping only?

I've been doing a lot of this lately, mostly because I'm trying to get more experience sharpening/repairing...so I don't mind. However, IME just putting a fresh edge on it will amaze a lot of people.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I almost never do this for someone who wants to hand over their knife and have it fixed. Even if they stand there and watch the whole process, that would be better than nothing. If someone really wants to learn I set up two stones side by side and we work together until they learn what they're doing. If you do it that way you would be surprised how quickly the people you teach will take control of their own stuff and even start teaching the other people in the restaurant when you're not available. Either way, if someone isn't willing to try and learn I don't think you should feel obligated to provide them a sharpening service for free.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    There are a lot of abused knives out there...
    What's the world coming to!

When they give you the knife tell them you'll sharpen it and point out the problems that go beyond that. People usually respond well to explanations.

It's up to you how to handle the extra work.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Perfect example. Guy has a Global yanagi that has been sharpened only by the sharpening guy who comes every few weeks in a van. Well, needless to say its screwed up; double beveled. Asks me tonight if I could get it "sharper" because the edge doesn't hold up... No $h!t....

I actually turned him away, explaining why. He asks if I could just sharpen it with a double bevel.....