Quantcast
Rubber Cutting Board - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rubber Cutting Board

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    What are you cutting at 70 deg C? I do see the possibility of accidents though. Like someone setting a cup of tea on a board or something...
    The temperature bit mainly just means don't wash it with hot water or else it will eventually warp. It is rubber after all.
    I know, its a little confusing. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Nothing wrong with these hands. I'd expected you would disclaim because of the watch. Why do people wear a watch - or rings or whatever - when they work with food??
    Yea really... But this is just my house on Thanks giving. We were all cooking together.

Just as an aside, I put my sanituff boards in the dishwasher all the time. Just lay them on a flat counter-top while they are warm and they will be Fine.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    What are you cutting at 70 deg C?
    Anything that has been cooked? Lol.

Besides, 158F is like nothing, and kitchens are notoriously full of hot things that get picked up and moved around. Hot pans, hot lids, hot sauces, hot coffee. If my fingertips can handle hotter temps than my cutting board, something has gone wrong.

i really think the temps are a CYA thing.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    You're probably right, I just have a vision in my head of plopping a chicken breast out of the oven onto this thing, and it getting stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    I agree with this.

I was curious to find out what the maximum recommended temperature for a Sani-Tuff is but I couldn't find it. Nonetheless, according to Amazon, if it warps, you can put it into a 220 degree oven, weighted down, to make it flat again. "If your board has warped, you can restore its straightness in either of two ways. The first is to wash the board in the dishwasher, remove before the drying cycle and, while still warm, place the board on a flat surface and weigh it down with something heavy. In the second method, place the board in your oven at 220F for less than 20 minutes and (like in the first method), flatten the board with a heavy object." 220 is barely above boiling water, which isn't that much more than 158.

For what it's worth, I just purchased a Hi-Soft board (from JKI) and I love it. I've only used it for a little while at home, but it hasn't gouged up like Sani-Tuffs do, can stain (but they remove after a few washings), but feel awesome when cutting. They feel soft when cutting, without the gouging, and have a very nice non-slip texture about them. (I used to regularly work on a Sani-Tuff board years ago. It was really durable, but got seriously gouged up and got a little smelly on occasion - it was the board at the fish market I worked at.) So far, I think it's worth the money. Because they're so much easier to clean, I don't really use my wood boards much anymore. Granted, it's not as pretty as wood board, but when doing a lot of prep, it's nice to be able to wash it down with soap and water, dry it off with a towel, and get right back to it.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I was just going to ask about Hi-Softs with scuffing and stuff. Thanks Michael. Does it look better than Sani-Tuff at least?

Now I'm REALLY going to get one, hopefully early next year.

I didn't realize that board you've been raving about is the same thing, Michael... Hmm... Very tempting.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I have used a rubber board before, I liked the tactile feed back from the rubber. Not just hard plastic but a little more give to it. You def. notice the difference when you try one.
    Chewie's the man.