Rubber Cutting Board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
A member brought to my attention that I never posted about Korin's awesome rubber cutting boards. I feel silly. This should have been one of the first things I posted. :sigh:

As many of you may have noticed, Korin doesn't sell wooden cutting boards. Why you ask? It's because most states and cruise lines ban wooden cutting boards in professional kitchens (including NY).

Just curious has anyone here ever used a rubber cutting board? They're pretty awesome. I had the pleasure of using one this past Thanks Giving actually. (I had a thanks giving cook off dinner party for strays.) I don't have enough kitchenware in the house (ironically), so I told everyone to bring their own stuff.

(Not my hands.)

The benefits to rubber cutting boards at Korin :

• Non-slip surface
  • More scratch resistant surface than plastic
  • Has a soft surface for knives, so you can have a longer edge retention.
  • Aesthetically pleasing (in my opinion)

Cons to rubber cutting boards :
  • Require more care than plastic. You can't use hot water on it or else it'll warp, since its rubber.
  • Heavier than plastic cutting board. Probably weighs as much as a wooden one.

We have 3 types of rubber cutting boards :

media.nl

The Hi-soft cutting board has a top grade synthetic surface that closely resembles wood in color, texture and softness. The soft polyvinyl acetate material reduces impact on knives for a longer lasting edge retention, while still providing a non-slip surface.
Material: High-Soft (polyvinyl acetate)
Price : $69.90 – $399.00 depending on size

TK-201-06_s.jpg

Synthetic Cutting Board
has a forgiving and durable yet slightly harder surface than Hi-Soft. Resembles wood in color. These cutting boards are increasingly popular in busy kitchens, due to it's durability and cost effectiveness.
Price : $179.00 – $299.00 depending on size

TK-202-07_s.jpg

The Asahi Rubber Cutting Board is the hardest cutting board offered by KORIN. It does not scratch easily, and very popular in sushi bars, because it closely resembles wood in looks and texture.
Price : $289.00 – $599.00 depending on size

Care & Precautions

• Highest Temp: 70°C or 158°F
  • Lowest Temp: -30°C or -22°F
  • Exposure to extreme heat, boiling water and sterilizers may cause warping or softening.
  • Use bleach (approx. 20 minutes) to remove stubborn stains. Make sure to wash thoroughly afterward.
  • We recommend flipping the board everyday to allow for even wear.

I'm thinking about asking management if I could send the hi-soft out for a pass around. Would people be interested? It's going to be a little expensive shipping it to each other...

Thanks, Mari. Would you know how do these compare with sani-tuff boards?

I tried my friend's once, and I just couldn't get used to the tactile feedback of rubber & I find it Dulls knives faster (somehow??:dontknow:), Stain & Gouge easily! maybe the Rubber Cutting Board I tried is cheap one?? I did used little hefty small Chinese cleaver on it with lots chopping motion......

We have a few of these boards at work and i must say they are very nice. So much easier on your edge than the poly boards. A really good investment for a commercial kitchen when wood boards aren't available or allowed.

I just finished a Servsafe class, and they allow hardwood boards. They're actually NSF certified. Of course, state to state the laws differ, but I think it's a big misconception that they aren't safe for use in commercial kitchens.

Btw- not trying to derail this thread Mari:)

These boards are definitely the next best thing to wood IMO.

Are there any videos out there where this board is in use? I've found a couple where people have used the Sani-Tuff, and it sounded surprisingly more stiff/dense than I expected.

We've normally gotten Sani-tuff, and while its a challenge to keep them out of the dish machine, they are totally worth it. We also have one thicker black one from yamasho.

Always been curious about the high price of that one and the ones you sell.
I guess a harder rubber has less sticking from a sharp knife. The reason we bought our 350$ board was because it released rice a lot easier and make keeping the middle station clean less of a hassle.

Can't see paying that much for a regular kitchen, but probably there are advantages I haven't thought about.

you're the second person to ask me that today... Unfortunately I've never used a sani-tuff board, so I can't tell you. I'll see if Korin will let me order one to try out.

Tinh, what would make the Sani-Tuff nicer? Is it lacking something as a cutting board, or is it just aesthetics?

These Hi Soft are seriously sounding really cool. I'll probably have to get one.

I have a sani tuff too, for home and most places I've worked had 'em.
I think the hi soft are supposed to be softer or more forgiving than sani tuff.

...what would make the Sani-Tuff nicer? Is it lacking something as a cutting board...

The Sani-Tuff just looks bad. It gets marred, dirty, scuffed and dented easily and the material seems to highlight every imperfection unlike wood, for example. In terms of cutting, it's fine.

The shockingly low temp tolerance on these is a deal-breaker for me, otherwise I'd get one in a heartbeat.
What are you cutting at 70 deg C? I do see the possibility of accidents though. Like someone setting a cup of tea on a board or something...

Don't need people to think I'm a female with large slightly hairy man hands. LOL
Nothing wrong with these hands. I'd expected you would disclaim because of the watch. Why do people wear a watch - or rings or whatever - when they work with food??

What are you cutting at 70 deg C? I do see the possibility of accidents though. Like someone setting a cup of tea on a board or something...

The temperature bit mainly just means don't wash it with hot water or else it will eventually warp. It is rubber after all.
I know, its a little confusing. lol

Nothing wrong with these hands. I'd expected you would disclaim because of the watch. Why do people wear a watch - or rings or whatever - when they work with food??

Yea really... But this is just my house on Thanks giving. We were all cooking together. :)

Just as an aside, I put my sanituff boards in the dishwasher all the time. Just lay them on a flat counter-top while they are warm and they will be Fine.

What are you cutting at 70 deg C?
Anything that has been cooked? Lol.

Besides, 158F is like nothing, and kitchens are notoriously full of hot things that get picked up and moved around. Hot pans, hot lids, hot sauces, hot coffee. If my fingertips can handle hotter temps than my cutting board, something has gone wrong.

i really think the temps are a CYA thing.

I agree with this.

I was curious to find out what the maximum recommended temperature for a Sani-Tuff is but I couldn't find it. Nonetheless, according to Amazon, if it warps, you can put it into a 220 degree oven, weighted down, to make it flat again. "If your board has warped, you can restore its straightness in either of two ways. The first is to wash the board in the dishwasher, remove before the drying cycle and, while still warm, place the board on a flat surface and weigh it down with something heavy. In the second method, place the board in your oven at 220F for less than 20 minutes and (like in the first method), flatten the board with a heavy object." 220 is barely above boiling water, which isn't that much more than 158.

For what it's worth, I just purchased a Hi-Soft board (from JKI) and I love it. I've only used it for a little while at home, but it hasn't gouged up like Sani-Tuffs do, can stain (but they remove after a few washings), but feel awesome when cutting. They feel soft when cutting, without the gouging, and have a very nice non-slip texture about them. (I used to regularly work on a Sani-Tuff board years ago. It was really durable, but got seriously gouged up and got a little smelly on occasion - it was the board at the fish market I worked at.) So far, I think it's worth the money. Because they're so much easier to clean, I don't really use my wood boards much anymore. Granted, it's not as pretty as wood board, but when doing a lot of prep, it's nice to be able to wash it down with soap and water, dry it off with a towel, and get right back to it.

I was just going to ask about Hi-Softs with scuffing and stuff. Thanks Michael. Does it look better than Sani-Tuff at least?

Now I'm REALLY going to get one, hopefully early next year.

I didn't realize that board you've been raving about is the same thing, Michael... Hmm... Very tempting.

I have used a rubber board before, I liked the tactile feed back from the rubber. Not just hard plastic but a little more give to it. You def. notice the difference when you try one.

Back