Quantcast
Henckels MC66
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henckels MC66

Henckels MC66

Has anyone used these knives. A chef brought one in the other day and out of the box it was crazy sharp. I'm not typically a fan of henckels but this seemed like a half decent knife. Just curious if anyone had any insight.

They are good knives, generally handle heavy with thicker than necessary tips and larger bellies, as J-knives go. Steel is zdp-189 at 66-ish hrc. I have one that Rottman wa-converted and thinned a couple years back. I still use it a fair bit.

Agreed. OOTB edge is very impressive. I have not sharpened mine yet. The stainless handle is noticeably heavy and off putting at first. But after using it for a while I did not mind the weight.

-AJ

I have a petty from t he line. Good steel and pretty decent knife

i had a 240 gyuto. it was nice. sold it to a friend, though.

I have a Santoku and for the price I think it's one helluva good knife. It had a super edge on it from the factory. I have not had it long, couple of months, so I have not had to sharpen it yet. It's a plaesure to use.

I had a cermax, and always thought it was decent. It took a decent edge, and kept it. It needed some thinning behind the edge, and some tip work, which was a pita.

I gave it to a guy in the kitchen, and had to fix it several times as his technique lead to multiple mocrochips. I would say its not a good beginners knife.....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Agree with No Chop!--the knife is pretty thin and a good cutter with outstanding edge retention, but I've had more than a few microchipped edges with mine. It was my first serious knife though, and I've still got it and use it often despite having acquired a couple of "upgrades" since.

Are there any issues with the knife?

It doesn't balance like most Japanese gyutos or like most western chef's knives--it's somewhere in between. Also, as multiple people mentioned above, it's prone to chipping because of the high hardness.