Henckels MC66

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
Has anyone used these knives. A chef brought one in the other day and out of the box it was crazy sharp. I'm not typically a fan of henckels but this seemed like a half decent knife. Just curious if anyone had any insight.

They are good knives, generally handle heavy with thicker than necessary tips and larger bellies, as J-knives go. Steel is zdp-189 at 66-ish hrc. I have one that Rottman wa-converted and thinned a couple years back. I still use it a fair bit.

Agreed. OOTB edge is very impressive. I have not sharpened mine yet. The stainless handle is noticeably heavy and off putting at first. But after using it for a while I did not mind the weight.

-AJ

i had a 240 gyuto. it was nice. sold it to a friend, though.

I have a Santoku and for the price I think it's one helluva good knife. It had a super edge on it from the factory. I have not had it long, couple of months, so I have not had to sharpen it yet. It's a plaesure to use.

I had a cermax, and always thought it was decent. It took a decent edge, and kept it. It needed some thinning behind the edge, and some tip work, which was a pita.

I gave it to a guy in the kitchen, and had to fix it several times as his technique lead to multiple mocrochips. I would say its not a good beginners knife.....

Agree with No Chop!--the knife is pretty thin and a good cutter with outstanding edge retention, but I've had more than a few microchipped edges with mine. It was my first serious knife though, and I've still got it and use it often despite having acquired a couple of "upgrades" since.

It doesn't balance like most Japanese gyutos or like most western chef's knives--it's somewhere in between. Also, as multiple people mentioned above, it's prone to chipping because of the high hardness.

The Cermax is known to be extremely handle heavy. Its less prevalent with the 240....

Softest cladding I've ever seen. Very prone to scratching...

Latest posts

Back