Thinning right?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbochef422

Reaction score
I see the scratches get a little high but I used one stone on one side of the knife so far but is this what it should look like. I'm ok at sharpening but never dipped onto thinning before. Thanks image.jpgimage.jpg

Pretty much, yes although it's hard to tell how far up the blade you're going with that. I'd take something like a 10 deg angle and try to hold it as though you are establishing a secondary bevel. Your natural wobble will do the blending. Once you have that secondary bevel in, then you can purposfully blend more. Otherwise, you will tend to merely round the shoulder, as opposed to significantly thin the blade where it counts.

I see the scratches get a little high but I used one stone on one side of the knife so far but is this what it should look like. I'm ok at sharpening but never dipped onto thinning before. Thanks View attachment 11967View attachment 11968

I can't see how far you went because I don't know the size of this Misono. As far as I can see, you're right to maintain the left side as flat as possible, excepted for the very edge.

It's about that high the whole blade and you can actually see the original bevel for comparison of size
image.jpg

How high you go is purely a function of whether or not you like the cutting performance. If your knife wasn't all that thick near the edge to begin with, you might not need to go too high. Then again, if you blend your bevel into the face of the blade, it might appear that you have a huge bevel but really, very little metal is removed on the higher part of the blade.

Still find it hard to see the dimensions, as long as I don't have any reference. It may have to do with my crappy screen, though.
What you may do, is to start at some 10 degree, til you near the very edge by 2mm, go on with 8 degree, till you near it again, and so on.
An other indication may be given by measuring the thickness behind the edge at some 5mm with a micrometer. Values between .5 and 1mm are reasonable.

My Misono dragon is a little shorter than yours due to age but I have had some trouble thinning higher than your pictures indicate. About one inch from the tip it doesn't abrade the entire thinning range but skips a small area and hits closer to the spine. I don't know if this is useful at all but I had to back off and follow a line very close to what you are doing now. It has helped the cutting tremendously. I think you are on the right track although I am sure others on this site have far more experience thinning than I do.

I think you're doing a good job so far. As the saying goes, you can take steel off a knife but you can't put it back on.

Looks just like the beginning of the dragon I just thinned. As you progress up the stones, drop a degree lower, as it helps clean up the edge of the scratch line....you may want to start over on the patina, as it will end up looking beat.

Lay the right side of the blade flat on the stone and when you thin, or do the motion , press with left hand around 5mm above edge.
Do one round on your coarsest stone and check the results.

This looks like one tired misono, not the thinnest knife to begin with but hey you have only one side to do :)

[when I did it, I did a little on the other side too]

Latest posts

Back