Quantcast
Miyabi 240mm Birchwood Gyuto - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miyabi 240mm Birchwood Gyuto

O_O

Great write up, I stumbled across this when I was searching Google for the Sakai Yusuke! Really great review, excellent pics, specs pic is nice. Will you be using mineral or tung oil for the handle? I wanted to ask how do you like your Sakai Yusuke? Is it much lighter and thinner than the Birchwood? I am enjoying mine, now that I found a good one. I don't know why I had such bad luck with the first few.

Crazy, I was searching for the Sakai and found this!
    (^.#)

Quote Originally Posted by sel1k1 View Post
    Great write up, I stumbled across this when I was searching Google for the Sakai Yusuke! Really great review, excellent pics, specs pic is nice. Will you be using mineral or tung oil for the handle? I wanted to ask how do you like your Sakai Yusuke? Is it much lighter and thinner than the Birchwood? I am enjoying mine, now that I found a good one. I don't know why I had such bad luck with the first few.

Crazy, I was searching for the Sakai and found this!
    Glad we could lure you in, even if indirectly. Here is my old review of the Sakai:

I got a few knives from some of the usual eBay sellers that offer some good deals on Japanese knives. This is the first, a Sakai 240mm Wa-Gyuto in white no.2 steel from bluewayjapan. Just some pictures and measurements for anyone else looking into these. And a few comments thrown in for good measure.

Right clicking on photos and clicking open image will open a larger version.

From left to right; Devin Thomas ITK 270mm, Miyabi Fusion 10”, Sakai 240mm. I don't own any other 240mm gyutos:

The usual measurements. Fairly thin:

A link to an ever bigger version of this photo, helps see the text:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Weight is pretty dainty by my standards. It is also a little blade heavy. The handle feels light and hollow. The fit and finish on the handle is very good, it is smooth, the wood and horn are in good shape, but I find the corners on the octagonal handle too sharp. A few minutes with some medium and fine grit paper on a sanding block should ease them enough to make it nice and comfy:

Some choil shots. The choil is very smooth, nicely rounded. The comparison shot has the 270mm DT ITK on the left, Sakai 240mm on the right:

These next two show where the handle meets the blade and the spine. The spine is like the choil, rounded and smooth. Where the handle meets the blade is also very nice. The transition between horn, wood, and the glue holding it together is perfectly smooth. No voids, no food getting stuck in there:

You might have been able to tell from the measurements that there is a pretty good distal taper, here are some pictures trying to show that:

One of the problems some might have with this knife is the profile. It is not as flat as most of us here prefer. The Miyabi Fusion actually has a slightly flatter profile. If you rock a little, I don't think you would have a problem with it. If you cut straight up and down like you would with a nakiri or cleaver then this wouldn't work for you:

I have not sharpened it yet, but I am not really expecting any surprises, it is white steel after all. It was quite sharp OOTB, one of the best factory edges I have ever seen. You could easily get by just stropping to touch up the edge, and being thin of course helps it feel sharp.
    The Sakai is much lighter and thinner than the Birchwood. Mine is also carbon, not stainless. They are really completely different animals. I use the Sakai frequently at home, it is a monster on onions since it is so thin. I am in the process of thinning it and fixing the belly so it is a little flatter.

Nice review/write-up! I took the opportunity to check one of these out the last time I was at slt and I was really pleasantly surprised. Your review seems to echo a lot of my first impressions. Unfortunatly I don't get an employee discount, and since I'm already saving up for some different knives this one will have to wait!

Very nice. The Sakai looks the same and is from the same shop on ebay, but the handle they are putting on it now looks different. I searched for the thread but could not find it. Another epic write up.
    (^.#)

Thanks for the review. Please keep us updated on the steel performance I'm definitely interested in this one. I really like the geometry and balance on my Miyabi 7000MC 240 gyuto, so I'm definitely interested in its SG-2 counterpart. All SG-2's are definitely not created equal. Sharpening my Asai SG-2 is not quite as difficult as sharpening ZDP-189, but it's tedious. Thank goodness for the Edge Pro. When I sharpen my Shun Elite, steel comes off fast as if I'm sharpening carbon steel.

Awesome review

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I seemed to have missed this in my trolling through old threads. Great write up, I bought 2 of these from Son in jan. 240 gyuto, and 6" chutoh to give away. I liked them and really didn't want to see them part. But they are off to good homes. I never saw any chipping. I did have a edge roll over at one time, but it was easy to fix.
    Chewie's the man.

got the MCD 7000 here. just got them so i havent had time to try them out yet. Powdersteel is calld MC66 and got 132 layers of damascus, ice-hardened at -196°C. HRC 65-67

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    got the MCD 7000 here. just got them so i havent had time to try them out yet. Powdersteel is calld MC66 and got 132 layers of damascus, ice-hardened at -196°C. HRC 65-67
    The core steel is actually ZDP-189 which is a really nice steel. Hope you enjoy these two knives. I've been wanting to try the 7000 MCD gyuto. Just never got around to pulling the trigger.

yeah the steel is very hard. Im gonna sharpen it on a low angle and see if the edge holds up nice when i got the time. i payd 250 for them NIB so i could not resist giving them a try since retail is 800 lol. but i must say the handle is not very good cant get a nice ferm gripp on them.thay are to round and almost like holding a babyoild stripper pole when you get some work done.