Quantcast
Asian market cleavers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asian market cleavers

Asian market cleavers

Most of what chop are vegetables with some meat. I know that cleavers take some getting used to when coming from a standered chefs knife but I am fine with that.

I went to the local Asian market today in search of a veggie cleaver, I found a cleaver but have no idea if it is any good or not? My question is are most cleavers from Asian markets good, not great but they will hold a decent edge, and do a good job cutting some veggies for dinner?

The cleaver that I found looked like the CCK 1103 and was $20. On the blade it said "Miako's best"

over some Chinese writing.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers, Julian

There are probably hundreds of these $20 cleaver makers. I have a couple. They work fine but there is no joy in the cutting. You must buy a high end knife...

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Nell View Post
    Most of what chop are vegetables with some meat. I know that cleavers take some getting used to when coming from a standered chefs knife but I am fine with that.

I went to the local Asian market today in search of a veggie cleaver, I found a cleaver but have no idea if it is any good or not? My question is are most cleavers from Asian markets good, not great but they will hold a decent edge, and do a good job cutting some veggies for dinner?

The cleaver that I found looked like the CCK 1103 and was $20. On the blade it said "Miako's best"

over some Chinese writing.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers, Julian
    its a good one. It's probably what would have been recommended if you asked first. Curious, where are you located?

I'm sort of fond of cheap cleavers myself. Whether or not this particular one will be good for you depends on several variables. Is it carbon or stainless? Is it a "slicer" type, or one of the heavier ones? Does the blade have a lot of belly, or is it more flat.

I used a cheap stainless 185mm x 75mm cleaver as my main knife for quite a while. I think I liked it just because I'm partial to cleavers and have spend a lot of time in China and cook a lot of Chinese food. But when I got a CCK 1303, I liked it a lot better- it was a bit bigger at 215mm x 90mm, it had a flatter edge, and the carbon steel seemed a lot easier to get quite sharp. The stainless cleaver I had just didn't have much board contact, what with the shorter edge and more rocker. I still haven't figured out what my ideal size cleaver is, but so far I've been partial to thin ones with flat edges, made from carbon steel. But for $20, there isn't much to lose in trying the one in your local place to see how you like it.

Slowtyper, I am located in Kansas City, Missouri. The Asian market is in the City market, a place close the the river with alot of good food.

Colorado_cutter, I haven't seen a CCK 1103 in person only on **** but from what I saw the profiles were almost identical I have no idea if it is stainless or not but I am going to think about it and $20 is nothing if it turns out to be good.

Another thing that I would like to ask, is sharpening a cleaver pretty similar to sharpening a chef's knife or something of that size? I have never sharpened a knife and I think that a cheap cleaver would be a good practice knife but will the skill transfer over?

Thanks for all the help and any rather help given.

Cheers, Julian

Another thing that I would like to ask, is sharpening a cleaver pretty similar to sharpening a chef's knife or something of that size? I have never sharpened a knife and I think that a cheap cleaver would be a good practice knife but will the skill transfer over?
    I find cleavers some of the easiest knives to sharpen...I think that with the larger size it is easier for beginners to keep at a fairly constant angle.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

That's good to know. Thanks chinacats.

Cheers, Julian

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Slowtyper, I am located in Kansas City, Missouri. The Asian market is in the City market, a place close the the river with alot of good food.
    Know the place well. Used to manage at River Market Brewery. I miss that market always was fun to walk around.
    Chewie's the man.

My family and I used to go down there get some minsky's pizza and walk around.

Cheers, Julian