Chroma Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joels747

Reaction score
I once got as a present two Chroma Knives - Original line H-07 and H-09.

When I got them they looked awesome.

Now that I got acquainted (thanks to this forum and its wonderful members) to Japanese knives, I took these two knives out of the drawer and examined them.

Both don't have stamped kanji and are etched on both sides.

The H-09 has an oval handle and looks like the blade is ground 50/50

The H-07 looks more "Japanese" with a straight (maybe slightly concave) back and a 3 angled face.

It says Molybdenum Vanadium on the back but I can't find any information on the steel or the hardness.

sharpness OOTB is not good and feels rough.

I must say they don't look so awesome now.

Does anyone know anything about these knives... are they worth keeping and using?

Thanks,

Joel

Do you like using them Joel? Thats all that matters. They will take a serviceable edge. For me , they sharpen up much like Globals, good but not great knives . Edge holding is ok for moderate use . I have some very sharp high end knives in the corner of my kitchen next to some very average knives. It's interesting how any people who visit my kitchen will reach for a knife that is less intimidating or more familiar to them. They just want something that works. You can to decide how sharp is sharp enough, how good is good enough. If you never knew about some of the outstanding knives available through this forum, would you still be disappointed with your Chroma knives? Of course, there's certainly nothing wrong with upgrading the better knives and keeping the Chromas around for guests who might not appreciate the difference, or for less inspired tasks. I've also gifted a lot of knives over the years that I've upgraded. No shame in indulging yourself from time to time , right? My wife knows that no one touches my "good knives"

Point taken and agreed Mrmnms.

And thanks for the information. I think I read somewhere that they are being produced by the same factory as Global.

Will now sharpen them and use them until I upgrade, and then probably give those away, as I am doing now with some of my European knives.

BTW, :biggrin: my wife and other family members who come in also know that no one touches my "good knives".

Joels, is this a "traditional" knife with wood wa handle? That is, not the all metal 301 series?

Bikehunter, this is the HAIKU, the traditional Japanese series with wood wa handle.

The H-07 Sashimi has a wooden right hand D handle

The H-09 Slicer is ground 50/50 and has a wooden OVAL handle

The only Chroma knife I have is their Tomato knife, and for what it is I like it. I use it mostly as a serving platter knife for breaking down orderves (sp) and the like. It has a servicable edge but not enough to scare the non-knife folks.

I have had 2 eries of chroma knives and neither imprssed me the 301 bread knife is awful and the japan chef series is actually OK but I had no use for it and gave it away. The haiku series though I have heard are petty serviceable.

Back