Help, Bent / Broke tip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could try bending the tip back to normal in a vise. For fixing the tip a belt sander will help a lot. Only grind the spine down to form a new tip.

what belt sander do you recommend? i would like to manage the knives at work and I have been thinking about purchasing one. About fixing the tip, is there a video of someone grinding the way you say so I can get a visual?

thank you :)

I use sand paper. very easy to do from the spine.

There's various cheap 1x30" beltsanders available that will do the job (Harbor freight $40). Hold the knife vertically tip down and work the spine on the platen of the sander.

And dip the blade in water every so often so you don't overheat the tip.

It looks like most of that bend will come out naturally once the tip is fixed. If its a harder steel, bending the tip may lead to further damage....

I use the side of an old flattening stone for tip repair, quite successfully.

hmm... do you hold the blade perpindicular with the nose on the stone? I'm having a hard time picturing it.

Hold it the same way you would if you were cutting something, but have the area of the spine near the tip on the stone, not the edge. I either use the side of a 500 grit stone or just my Atoma 140

hmm... do you hold the blade perpindicular with the nose on the stone? I'm having a hard time picturing it.

Here's a quick pic I just took. Grind only from the spine, never from the edge, to preserve as much of the geometry of the blade as possible. Grind the spine as far back as necessary to match the original profile, if you can. When you are done, you will have to thin the sides of the blade at the tip to its original thickness before it was broken or your tip work with the knife will suffer.

file-12.jpg

If you have more questions, ask.

Rick

I used 180 wet and dry sandpaper and then higher numbers for polishing the scratches.

Back