Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does size matter?

Does size matter?

I just found a KING #6000 waterstone for a good price here in London that measures 178mm x 52mm x 15mm. (comes attached to a base) {£20 @ Japann Centre}

The closest I can find in price is a #6000 grit at 190mm x 63mm x 19mm for almost twice the price {£35 at Tyzack}

The stone I have already (combi #240/#1000) is the same smaller size (178x52mm) which I have found fine to use, though I have never known any different.

Will I come to regret buying the smaller, cheaper stone, or should I spend the extra money for the slightly larger one?

[buying the smaller would give me budget to buy a #4000 if I came to feel that I needed it, also at about £20]

[this is for honing a CarboNext 210 gyuto and I am a beginner, sharpening wise, but using the 240/1000 stone has so far felt ok]

Thanks!

Robert

i prefer larger stones, but i have no problem using smaller ones. i wouldn't pay double for a larger King 6000.

the smaller stone is about 1£ cheaper after averaging the price out to the cubic mm. Doesn't seem like enough to make a decision based on...I'd find some other criteria than price in this instance.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Larger stones are bliss. Thirty five quid for the larger King is pretty expensive if you ask me but based on what you've said sofar regarding prices in the UK that seems to be par for the course Have you looked at buying online or will you still get shafted?

Glad to hear they haven't put their prices up. Bigger stones are better but for learning on smaller stones are fine IMO. Plus you can always sell it on eBay for virtually that price if you choose the upgrade in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    the smaller stone is about 1£ cheaper after averaging the price out to the cubic mm. Doesn't seem like enough to make a decision based on...I'd find some other criteria than price in this instance.
    The only other difference is size, hence my question.

The price difference between the two stones is £15, regardless of what the £/weight is and I am not in a position to just throw endless cash at gear to sharpen my one £75 knife.

I had actually already bought the stone from JC when I posted this, but figured if replies were unanimously "NO GET THE LARGE ONE" I could happily take it back and trade it for tofu and pizza flavoured seaweed.

The £20 #4000 stone I might buy is larger, so if I do get that and decide it's a beautiful thing, I can upgrade and ebay the one I have - good idea TB.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
    Larger stones are bliss. Thirty five quid for the larger King is pretty expensive if you ask me but based on what you've said sofar regarding prices in the UK that seems to be par for the course Have you looked at buying online or will you still get shafted?
    I just had a look at prices in the US (JKI & the TOGO place) and £35 for the larger stone is cheaper than both [$60+/- though perhaps stones are 8mm wider?] I have no idea how much these things go for in Oz.

Japan Centre price is cheaper than e-bay from Korea!

Knives may be overpriced here, but it seems you can get great deals on stones if you are prepared to search them out!

I can feel my inner perfectionist idiot will not be happy until I have spent £2000 on a set of huge Chosera stones, with antique wooden bases, but I shall have to attempt to silence him. It's funny because when I got home last night and looked at my new stone I was really pleased with it: oh, how smooth it was! Yet as soon as I realised that the other one I had seen online was slightly larger, I turned to the forum in an attempt to still the inner voices of discontent.

that's what she said....

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    ............I turned to the forum in an attempt to still the inner voices of discontent.........
    Stones are just as alluring as knives. More so in fact. I like sharpening a knife as much if not more than using one.

Meh, get the cheaper one. It allows you room to upgrade later, if you become one of those guys (right Jon?). To be honest, you should be well set up with the smaller 6k. Kings dish easier than most stones, but the 6k should be far less "dishy" than the 1k.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com