Quantcast
Suien SCC-01 or Sugimoto #30? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suien SCC-01 or Sugimoto #30?

I ended up with an F-920.

There are some seams that are not sealed; e.g. the ferrule to the blade, and the butt-end nut to the wood. I got me some Devcon 2-ton epoxy but I'm worried that I won't be able to get a smooth finish. How do I wipe it down to get a sanitary finish for smoothness and cleanability?

Nice , how do you like the F-920?

As for the epoxy, perhaps a toothpick for application and automotive sandpaper wrapped around Popsicle stick for cleanup might get the smoothness you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHL View Post
    Nice , how do you like the F-920?

As for the epoxy, perhaps a toothpick for application and automotive sandpaper wrapped around Popsicle stick for cleanup might get the smoothness you desire.
    Why sandpaper?

sandpaper, just in case there is a couple of rough patches in the cured epoxy.

The automotive kind of course, not the stuff you use on wood.

It went easier than I thought. I used a 6" static mixer tip with a small orifice (1/16" or so) which made it easy to control the application. The only other real tool I used was a stainless steel ruler with a square end and a round end. The square end was used for cleaning up the seams to give a straight finish, and the round end was used to give a nice, smooth fillet to the seams. I had some paper on hand to wipe off the excess and the smudges.

I was able to fill in the gap between the ferrule and the blade, the ferrule and the handle, and the butt-nut and the handle.

love my togiharu