Quantcast
Stone advice for Takeda kit, and overall. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Stone advice for Takeda kit, and overall.

  1. #11
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,221
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    what would be a great single splash n go stone without having to finish on another stone, say if you already have a good edge? i currently use the bester rika combo and i find it a chore to have to take those out and soak in water each time i want to sharpen, sharpening is a necessary evil not a hobby of mine, rather be using the knives on food, not maintain tools.
    How about this one? http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...Go-3k-A-Winner If you go this route, let us know how you like it.

  2. #12
    Senior Member brainsausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    what would be a great single splash n go stone without having to finish on another stone, say if you already have a good edge? i currently use the bester rika combo and i find it a chore to have to take those out and soak in water each time i want to sharpen, sharpening is a necessary evil not a hobby of mine, rather be using the knives on food, not maintain tools.
    I permasoak my bester and rika. Doesn't get much easier than that.
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

  3. #13
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,221
    Actually, the nicest option is a very fine diamond plate: no maintenance, fast results, minimal clean-up, basically takes up no space. I permasoaked for a while. In the words of a wise man, "Not a fan."

  4. #14
    Senior Member chinacats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,288
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    what would be a great single splash n go stone without having to finish on another stone, say if you already have a good edge? i currently use the bester rika combo and i find it a chore to have to take those out and soak in water each time i want to sharpen, sharpening is a necessary evil not a hobby of mine, rather be using the knives on food, not maintain tools.
    I use a Gesshin 5k splash and go...works very nicely.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

  5. #15
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,221
    Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    I use a Gesshin 5k splash and go...works very nicely.
    I use mine as one of my main stones. I guess it depends on how "good" your edge is when you take it to the stone. If the edge is pretty dead, it'll take a lot of work to bring it back on the G5k. If the edge is still lively but just not up to your standards, the G5k is a great stone.

  6. #16
    Senior Member brainsausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Actually, the nicest option is a very fine diamond plate: no maintenance, fast results, minimal clean-up, basically takes up no space. I permasoaked for a while. In the words of a wise man, "Not a fan."
    I'm pretty new to this sharpening stuff, so take that with a grain of salt. Why not a fan of permasoak?
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    charlotte, nc
    Posts
    1,134
    that 3k sounds like a good solution! will give it a go when i make my next kitchen tool purchase. thanks for the link.

  8. #18
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I'm pretty new to this sharpening stuff, so take that with a grain of salt. Why not a fan of permasoak?
    For me, it's because of a lack of space. It takes up precious space in my kitchen.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    charlotte, nc
    Posts
    1,134
    even in a large kitchen, space is always at a premium and keeping a 3rd pan full of water is just asking to get nasties in the pan or getting it knocked over, etc...

  10. #20
    Senior Member chinacats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,288
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    even in a large kitchen, space is always at a premium and keeping a 3rd pan full of water is just asking to get nasties in the pan or getting it knocked over, etc...
    Mine stay submerged in a mid-size tupperware in a light bleach solution. Takes little space and the stones are always ready for use. Change the solution when I sharpen and it never gets nasty.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts