Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stone advice for Takeda kit, and overall.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    what would be a great single splash n go stone without having to finish on another stone, say if you already have a good edge? i currently use the bester rika combo and i find it a chore to have to take those out and soak in water each time i want to sharpen, sharpening is a necessary evil not a hobby of mine, rather be using the knives on food, not maintain tools.
    How about this one? http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...Go-3k-A-Winner If you go this route, let us know how you like it.

what would be a great single splash n go stone without having to finish on another stone, say if you already have a good edge? i currently use the bester rika combo and i find it a chore to have to take those out and soak in water each time i want to sharpen, sharpening is a necessary evil not a hobby of mine, rather be using the knives on food, not maintain tools.
    I permasoak my bester and rika. Doesn't get much easier than that.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Actually, the nicest option is a very fine diamond plate: no maintenance, fast results, minimal clean-up, basically takes up no space. I permasoaked for a while. In the words of a wise man, "Not a fan."

I use a Gesshin 5k splash and go...works very nicely.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    I use a Gesshin 5k splash and go...works very nicely.
    I use mine as one of my main stones. I guess it depends on how "good" your edge is when you take it to the stone. If the edge is pretty dead, it'll take a lot of work to bring it back on the G5k. If the edge is still lively but just not up to your standards, the G5k is a great stone.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Actually, the nicest option is a very fine diamond plate: no maintenance, fast results, minimal clean-up, basically takes up no space. I permasoaked for a while. In the words of a wise man, "Not a fan."
    I'm pretty new to this sharpening stuff, so take that with a grain of salt. Why not a fan of permasoak?
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

that 3k sounds like a good solution! will give it a go when i make my next kitchen tool purchase. thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I'm pretty new to this sharpening stuff, so take that with a grain of salt. Why not a fan of permasoak?
    For me, it's because of a lack of space. It takes up precious space in my kitchen.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

even in a large kitchen, space is always at a premium and keeping a 3rd pan full of water is just asking to get nasties in the pan or getting it knocked over, etc...

even in a large kitchen, space is always at a premium and keeping a 3rd pan full of water is just asking to get nasties in the pan or getting it knocked over, etc...
    Mine stay submerged in a mid-size tupperware in a light bleach solution. Takes little space and the stones are always ready for use. Change the solution when I sharpen and it never gets nasty.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right