Stone advice for Takeda kit, and overall.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantumcloud509

Reaction score
What would you guys recommend as far as stone advice for my knife kit? Currently I am strictly Takeda AS (7 of them). I have had two knives tipped. One still is ATM. The only stone I have is a 10k...which Ive used only on my straight razor. Would you recommend purchasing a kit, would you recommend purchasing used stones, would you recommend a ceramic rod? Currently I get my knives sharpened by a dude in Seattle when i travel over there to visit. I have to learn...Im scared to mess up, but I have to learn.

Takedas are pretty hard...steel wont be too responsive to ceramic rod. Take the plunge, and watch a few vids....you'll do fine.

I think the best starting point is the old bester to rika...very affordable, too.

Would love to see some pics of the Takeda fam...I miss mine.

I definitely wouldn't bother with the ceramic rod. I only use mine in emergencies or when I'm lazy, they are no substitute for stones at all.

You might want to pick up some beaters at Goodwill or Target to practice on. They won't feel like your Takedas, but you'll learn some useful habits and won't be terribly upset if you scratch them up.

Takedas are pretty hard...steel wont be too responsive to ceramic rod. Take the plunge, and watch a few vids....you'll do fine.

I think the best starting point is the old bester to rika...
+1. I remember watching a Dave video online where he sharpens a Takeda. Maybe this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezIEKGk9T0 Takedas are fairly easy to sharpen due to the secondary bevel. On these guys, I'd just go for it rather than do a practice.

Much like the knives that are regularly recommended on the forum, I kind of feel that there really aren't any duds in the group of stones that are often touted as favourites by forum members.

So it really comes down to personal preference and how much you want to spend. For me, the beston, bester, rika combo is for me where the law of dimishing returns kicks in. This is a great set (especially for carbon) and anything more expensive than this is will not offer an improvement in performance in relation to increase in price. There's a reason this set is so highly regarded.

If there are certain characteristics that you know you want in a stone, for example splash'n go, excellent feeling and feedback, or super fast cutting ability, there would be other recommendations.

Last edited:
what would be a great single splash n go stone without having to finish on another stone, say if you already have a good edge? i currently use the bester rika combo and i find it a chore to have to take those out and soak in water each time i want to sharpen, sharpening is a necessary evil not a hobby of mine, rather be using the knives on food, not maintain tools.

what would be a great single splash n go stone without having to finish on another stone, say if you already have a good edge? i currently use the bester rika combo and i find it a chore to have to take those out and soak in water each time i want to sharpen, sharpening is a necessary evil not a hobby of mine, rather be using the knives on food, not maintain tools.
How about this one? http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/9585-JKS-Splash-n-Go-3k-A-Winner If you go this route, let us know how you like it.

I permasoak my bester and rika. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Actually, the nicest option is a very fine diamond plate: no maintenance, fast results, minimal clean-up, basically takes up no space. I permasoaked for a while. In the words of a wise man, "Not a fan." :)

I use a Gesshin 5k splash and go...works very nicely.

I use a Gesshin 5k splash and go...works very nicely.
I use mine as one of my main stones. I guess it depends on how "good" your edge is when you take it to the stone. If the edge is pretty dead, it'll take a lot of work to bring it back on the G5k. If the edge is still lively but just not up to your standards, the G5k is a great stone.

Actually, the nicest option is a very fine diamond plate: no maintenance, fast results, minimal clean-up, basically takes up no space. I permasoaked for a while. In the words of a wise man, "Not a fan." :)

I'm pretty new to this sharpening stuff, so take that with a grain of salt. Why not a fan of permasoak?

I'm pretty new to this sharpening stuff, so take that with a grain of salt. Why not a fan of permasoak?

For me, it's because of a lack of space. It takes up precious space in my kitchen.

even in a large kitchen, space is always at a premium and keeping a 3rd pan full of water is just asking to get nasties in the pan or getting it knocked over, etc...

Mine stay submerged in a mid-size tupperware in a light bleach solution. Takes little space and the stones are always ready for use. Change the solution when I sharpen and it never gets nasty.

Mine stay submerged in a mid-size tupperware in a light bleach solution. Takes little space and the stones are always ready for use. Change the solution when I sharpen and it never gets nasty.

I follow the same routine. Curious why TK doesn't approve though...

I've never used bleach out of fear that it would dissolve one or more components in the stone. I could never keep it all that clean out of laziness and the frequency that I'm using the stones. I have nothing against permasoaking per se.

Im gonna go read that right after all these responses, thanks man.

I think the best starting point is the old bester to rika...very affordable, too.

Would love to see some pics of the Takeda fam...I miss mine.

Thanks for the advice, will look into it. I wish it was easier to post pics on KKF, I always fall for the fact that I want to post a pic, but have to upload it to a site ...where im not a member at, etc...urrrgh...wish we had an option to upload straight from a computer into the text box...whats up admins? :) ;) ;) hook us up.

+1. I remember watching a Dave video online where he sharpens a Takeda. Maybe this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezIEKGk9T0 Takedas are fairly easy to sharpen due to the secondary bevel. On these guys, I'd just go for it rather than do a practice.

Thanks man, Ill watch that video after I get all this responces out of the way.

Much like the knives that are regularly recommended on the forum, I kind of feel that there really aren't any duds in the group of stones that are often touted as favourites by forum members.

So it really comes down to personal preference and how much you want to spend. For me, the beston, bester, rika combo is for me where the law of dimishing returns kicks in. This is a great set (especially for carbon) and anything more expensive than this is will not offer an improvement in performance in relation to increase in price. There's a reason this set is so highly regarded.

If there are certain characteristics that you know you want in a stone, for example splash'n go, excellent feeling and feedback, or super fast cutting ability, there would be other recommendations.

Great feedback, thats what I like - getting the most worth out of my moneys. Thank you.

Hey thanks Dave! Im serious, I didnt know. I thought the donate button was just for like...eh, Ill donate type of stuff. Now that I know, and I do appreciate the forum as I have learned a lot here, and wish to learn more and chime in when I can, Ill chip in. Thank you.

The donate button is just for donations. What you did was become a supporting member by making a subscription payment which gives you the picture upload capabilities as well as increased PM limits and you got that cool badge placed above your avatar too.

Either way the support is appreciated - thank you! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back