Let's see your DIY sayas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenStefano

Reaction score
Here are mine. None of them made by me. All for 270 gyutos. The far right one is probably the best I've seen, with the cork in the end to protect the tip. So let's see yours. I am curious as to how complicated they can get

IMAG0550.jpg

Boy that brings back memories,used to use the slighty water resistant cardboard & ducktape.Gave um up for edgeguards,except on thick bone cleaver & a few Ice chisels where edgeguards don't work:wink:

Just rocking some stiff cardboard ones now covered in duct tape - should upgrade soon!

Hopefully Son doesn't see this thread. He will show us all up.

225 gyuto and large cck cleaver sayas...

PC100610.jpg

others

PC100609.jpg

Do you guys ever notice dulling with sayas like these? I was using one out of cardstock and I always found the bite out of the edge was gone when using it - maybe my wire edge was really bad or something.

The dog one is badass!

thanks Tom, that one's for my Carter :knife:

Don, I sure hope they dull them a bit, as a home cook it's hard to get enough use among my knives (those shown plus my Sab's) to have to sharpen enough to stay any good at it...and like most people here I really enjoy very sharp knives.

They're surprisingly easy to make. Now making them cleanly and quickly enough so that you can make money off of them...I have no idea how Eamon was doing that.

I have many card board/duct tape combo sayas....I love them, I have had one for going on three years, will have to take some pics.

Here is one my son made (he is only 4, and actually did alot of it himself, at least the glueing and sanding)...its just two pieces of poplar, professionally painted. (the cavity was done in about 30 seconds with a flap wheel on the drill press)
IMG_0128.jpg

So I hate to show you all up but I love these three that I made !! hahaha I spent alot of time home by my self with a lot of duct tape!!
1227120941.jpg

of the three this is my favorite!!
1227120942.jpg

I have made a crap ton of these just bored and for my workers with all different designs its pretty fun!!!

Kinda weird this thread popped up, I made this tonight for the sakimaru takobiki out of a fish tub lid, some electrical tape and sticky back black felt inside and out.
IMG_20121227_234013.jpg

IMG_20121227_234106.jpg

IMG_20121227_234132.jpg

IMG_20121227_234114.jpg
IMG_20121227_234225.jpg

Nice one Theory, looks sharp.

as for the superman one, I love that, esp the cape.

I'm about to make another one but just thought I should mention this saya actually has a spine on it. Notice the cutout on the left goes into the ridge, I used that as a stable spine and also to create space.

Threw these together tonight for my CCK and Tojiro Kiritsuke. Cheap craft store balsa. Not bad for my first attempt. Wanted to try it cheap before I used better wood

JmUOZ.jpg

12BPb.jpg

The kiritsuke is nice and tight, but I need to make a pin for the CCK. Takeout chopstick it is.

It's kinda funny some of my cheapest knives get babied, when the more cosly just use the anti rust paper they came wrapped it, lol.

hey jmadams, what do you think of the tojiro kiritsuke? i've been eyeing it. =D

if ya dont mind me chimming in, I think its a sweet blade for the buck. The kurochi finished Kiritsuke needs some work and can be made to look like a beautiful sord if you put a little love into it. Jayhay has one and its the only knife he uses any ore in the kitchen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back