Where do I get a grinding stone and everything needed with it like in the picture

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andygraybeal

Reaction score
U7sDC.jpg

I wonder how much of my life savings would I have to hand over to get a setup like this?

Andy

well for sure they do not sell them in stores.
might be better off with a grinder

I've seen wheels like this on ebay. Can't say were to buy a new one. Maybe a google search for grinding stone would work.

guess i'll keep googling :)

someone's got to have one? maybe i can get one shipped from japan?

you can go to a granite monument or headstone place and have a wheel water jetted out to your specs, then you will have to figure out all the other components.

you can go to a granite monument or headstone place and have a wheel water jetted out to your specs, then you will have to figure out all the other components.

For real? Interesting. How could you be sure that whatever it is they use is a good thing to grind on? or... at this point.. does it matter ? I don't know.

i'm sure you could have them make it out of sandstone. They can get whatever stone you want I'm sure. gotta do the homework.

If you do it make sure you only spin it slowly and read up on how to fit a stone to the arbor. Fast moving stones have an ability to explode, even more so if not done properly

If you do it make sure you only spin it slowly and read up on how to fit a stone to the arbor. Fast moving stones have an ability to explode, even more so if not done properly

What is the "arbor" ... is there a diagram on what is required to get this going?

The funny thing is, nobody has yet asked Why do you want this?"
If you don't think this is a bunch of Knuts, think again :lol2:"

If you want a commercially aavailable system, you might check out the Tormek sharpener

There was a place in Ohio selling 50" diameter wheels, 6 inches wide. They were Norton stones and were super cheap, be prepared...If you order one from Japan they run about $5k with the shipping. The ones i saw in OH were around $500 + shipping. Also take into consideration that stone will weight around 1000 lbs.

If you're going to go nuts and make a wheel I'll throw in a suggestion to go with concrete poured/molded over a wood wheel frame. Go with something rough grit wise (taking a wild ass guess here) - but hey you can always chip the wheel with a pick axe to rough the surface up for a greater abrasion rate - and hope that you get it right. Then you'd need to build an arbor, drive system (pulleys/belts/etc), and power this beast with some engine or giant ass motor....oh and you'll need to run it in a water bath with a pump, filter, and re-circulator and don't forget the splash guards. :)

Seriously though, this project (any large wheel system put together in any manner) could easily turn into a big $$ nightmare that does nothing much of anything at all for you. If you go with a proven system you'll spend a lot more than big $$ though, likely importing from Japan or finding something similarly made here in the US (even though I doubt there's anything like this here).

I've been down this road many times before and the only simple solution I can come up with is to scale down to much much much smaller wheels (10"-12") and then it becomes something more manageable and a lot more possible to actually happen. If you're interested in the scale down concept there's some Tormek aftermarket wheels available from King, Naniwa, a couple of diamond abrasive companies overseas, and even Tormek themselves that might fit the bill.

Back