Quantcast
Twin Cities/Central MN gathering - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Twin Cities/Central MN gathering

We'll pour one out for you, Scott--hope the kitchen has a good night.

Have fun guys, wish I could have made it but the joys of being a CPA during the months of December - April keep you from having a life.

Oh yeah, and make sure to post lots of pix.

I wont be able to make either... PM you Charlie.... Hope you have a blast!

Kudos and don't forget the pictures

I feel like 20 dollars. At least I only have one puncture wound.

k.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Karring's photo says it all--it's hard to imagine that so many excellent knives have ever been assembled in one room. I'd like to thank everyone who attended for making last night's get-together a truly awesome event. Karring brought steel from almost every custom maker and major manufacturer, whatever few things he didn't have Jason supplemented (and gave me a CCK cleaver--thanks!), and Charlie provided the space, an incredible spread of cured meats, gougeres, and other delicious food. At eight bottles of wine for the four of us, we didn't go home thirsty, either.

Some specific observations:

1) The best part of the evening (other than meeting folks) was taking about forty pounds of produce from Charlie's kitchen and really putting some knives through their paces. This is the kind of opportunity that rarely comes along, and I now have my sights set on an AM Marr poultry knife, anything from Rader or Devin, and a slicer made out of Will Catcheside's subtle and beautiful feather pattern damascus. Also, waiting for my Martell gyuto has become even more difficult after using Karring's and Jason's--as Charlie put it, if you have a Martell and you run a restaurant, the only thing you want on your menu is soup so that you can cut onions and potatoes all day long.

2) Most makers' knives look even more spectacular in person than they do in photographs. I was blown away by how well made and beautifully finished the Martell, Devin Thomas, Tsourkan, Rader, Mario, and Fowler knives were that I got to play with. Randy's meteorite damascus also has depth and dynamism that's impossible to appreciate in two dimensions.

3) Charlie's food is the best deal in the central United States. I might move simply to be in walking distance.

Again, a sincere thank you to everyone who attended or planned to attend (Scott, DeepCSwede, and Customfan, you guys were missed). This was the most fun I've had in a long time. For those who didn't make it, Jason's got about a thousand pics.

I recognize some Tojiros, Randy Hass beautie, Michael Rader garlic crushing masterpiece, some CCKs, Dave Martells, among others... Oh man! It looks like these was some awesome knife ogling going on there!

Cool review! Thanks!

Did you guys plan on making this a repeat event?

I meant Justin, of course, not Jason in the above post. My apologies; haven't had enough coffee yet.

Glad you guys had fun and sounds like the sharpy thingies caused minimal casualties so all in all a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Customfan View Post
    Did you guys plan on making this a repeat event?
    I think it would be cool to do it a couple times a year -- maybe September. I have a baby on the way that is going to block out of 6 months of my life here pretty quick.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Sounds like a great time. Hope to see some more pictures!

K, in the picture you posted, what is the knife with the Koa handle that looks like it was made by Michael Rader?

+ Reply to Thread