Quantcast
Korin's Youtube Channel is Ready! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Korin's Youtube Channel is Ready!

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    +1. Slowing down is a big one for me.
    Great, thanks for letting me know. He knows to speak slower.
    Thank you again.

Yea, just so you guys know, he's a very animated guy in person too. lol

Sponsors
    All of these reviews are so helpful! Thank you all so much for taking the time to watch and review.

I have let the guys know and they are working hard to improve.

Mari: definitely keep going with this it is a great idea. All comments meant to be constructive. Can only imagine what a video made by me would look like! Kudos to Alex for his efforts. All this stuff can be learned with practice and helpful instruction. Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    1. Shun, Ittosai, Kikuichi, Togiharu, the new Nenox knife, and Mac. I asked Mr. Sugai, he said that even if it doesn't look like they are 50/50, they are made 50/50. It's not always something you can figure out by just looking. I will ask more companies, just to confirm. In essence the damascus material does not cut, so these companies put the blade in the middle of the knife. Whether this is valid for non-Japanese makers, we don't know since we don't see too many of them.

2. Sorry, I will ask them to be more clear about each line.

On a different note, HRc is weird. But in short, HRc is differs by the heat a knife is forged, and for Japanese knives the craftsmen's hammering. It's also very hard to measure HRc, because they only take the measurement of one point and makers don't measure every single knife they produce. Distributors only have the information given to us by them.

3. I was referring to the bolster, because we were told thats the bolster's intent. Whether it does or not is up to question. If you don't mind, I would like to forward these questions to Misono so I can know for sure.

By the way, I didn't mean for my previous comment to sound condescending if it did. I'm really so if it came across that way.
    Oh and I shipped the Togiharu G-1 chef back to you.
    50:50 bevels - I may have to concede that one. I don't have easy access to blades with stock edges these days. However, your comment about the soft cladding not cutting makes me think that maybe we're not talking about the same thing. If the blade is properly thinned there is no problem with asymmetric edges on cladded knives. In fact, you cannot reach the cladding on most stock knives because it doesn't come close to the edge.

Handmade vs 440 - The hardness isn't weird and it isn't a big deal. It just not all that clear to me what the big difference is. An average of 1 pt on hrc is something but hardly grounds to have another line of knives.

Bolsters - It is fact that bolsters make knives more handle heavy. I am curious to know if all of the knives in each Misono line are perfectly balanced. I doubt the bolsters on the 440 series are much different in terms of how they affect balance. I do remember the 440 series had some large handles, which was nice.

I'll be looking for the Togiharu. Thanks!

IMO, considering the audience I presume these videos are intended for I thought Alex did a nice job. I personally don't like slow and often boring videos. I don't have a problem with the background or animation, it gives additional "texture" to the video. If you examine each knife closely it's going to be a loooong video. Something I don't recommend.

My main criticism is he uses "um" too often. Been there, done that.

How many "takes" are they doing? I recommend more than one and choosing the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    IMO, considering the audience I presume these videos are intended for I thought Alex did a nice job. I personally don't like slow and often boring videos. I don't have a problem with the background or animation, it gives additional "texture" to the video. If you examine each knife closely it's going to be a loooong video. Something I don't recommend.

My main criticism is he uses "um" too often. Been there, done that.

How many "takes" are they doing? I recommend more than one and choosing the best.
    Can't argue with half a million Youtube views
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Seen and heard the introductory video about sharpening. It's a great pleasure to hear Vincent. Has he followed drama classes or so?

The hardness isn't weird and it isn't a big deal.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she meant it was difficult to obtain accurate and consistent figures.

It's also very hard to measure HRc, because they only take the measurement of one point and makers don't measure every single knife they produce. Distributors only have the information given to us by them.
    Now I'm a little confused. Does that mean that you can't truly tell the hardness of a knife until you sharpen it and have another knife to compare it to?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Doom View Post
    Now I'm a little confused. Does that mean that you can't truly tell the hardness of a knife until you sharpen it and have another knife to compare it to?
    I'm afraid there's some spread within the production of one maker. And often, you can't judge it until you removed the weak factory edge.

Turn off the phones. or whatever messes up the recording, starts at 0:23 and keeps going for a very long time. record with a camera with better quality its pretty blurry. other then that i think its pretty good.