Quantcast
What's a Kramer actually like? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's a Kramer actually like?

Can you describe the wave? Not understanding what you mean by a wave grind?

Got a Shun Kramer Damascus as a gift a while ago and a meji after . Maybe not the real thing, but great fit and finish. Edges have held up very well for me, feel like slight convex grind I guess. Stropped them back after month of use and are just about as sharp as anything I have. I'm a lefty but still use the meji quite a bit with d handle for righty. Very easy knife to work with. I'd love a chance to try an original. Maybe I'll sell my car and try to buy one. I'm glad makers like him can see the kind of financial reward he's getting. I hope some of the outstanding makers here can also taste this kind of success. I also hope to be able to buy a few of their knives while I can still almost justify and afford to buy them. I dream about making my own . This forum is inspiring .

Don, if I'm remembering correctly, you can see the grind on Bob's knives pretty good while he's working on them in the CBS video on YouTube. If not that vid then one of his other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    Can you describe the wave? Not understanding what you mean by a wave grind?
    there is a concave section in the middle. it would help with sticktion, i imagine, especially with how tall so many of the Kramer knives are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Don, if I'm remembering correctly, you can see the grind on Bob's knives pretty good while he's working on them in the CBS video on YouTube. If not that vid then one of his other ones.
    Hmm, thanks Dave! I'll have to take a look again.

I have vintage Dexters that have that same grind, although not as nearly refined.

On Lake Michigan we have waves that we call "rollers". A lazy wave that has a relatively steep incline that doesn't break and then it descends into a long valley before trying to repeat itself. The spine is the top of the second roller.

the "wave grind" is a very interesting thing. I have been thinking about it but never tried it. I will do so on my next knife. I wonder what the radius is on bob's curved grinder platen. I will first try it with my 300mm wheel.

Scott, people down here don't understand the size of our great lakes. When I tell them, you can't see across them, just like the ocean, they have twenty foot swells, and are very deep and dangerous, they look puzzled. lol.

Lake Michigan still provides the best tap water in the world. I truly miss it. Always icy cold, no foul smell, or fishy-bleachy taste.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

One if my old chefs had a few. 2 chefs and a 150 petty. The petty was the only one I used, and I loved it. The F&F was amazing. I only used it on occasion, but every time, it was scary sharp, and Chef always raved about the ease of shape ring and retention. Only knife that have me stitches, when I lost the tip if my thumb having to have sowed back on. I still miss that knife for fruit and hand work
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

This is my original Kramer. Much taller and heavier than the second. You can kind of get an idea of the grind by the reflection.