Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's a Kramer actually like?

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I have two. I wholeheartily disagree with the heavy part, they are extemely light for such a substantial knife. It is a great cutter as well, though if you don't like tall knives you may not think so. Edge retention and ease of sharpening is right though.
    Jason

I have a 9" Kramer 52100 chefs knife. Without a doubt my favorite knife. One thing Kramer does so well is the distal taper, both on the blade and the handle. Besides being beautiful this adds depth to the balance so that the knife seems lighter than it is. F&F are perfect, the geometry is great (no problems wedging), it holds a very decent edge, and it's easy to sharpen. I use it a lot.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Dean, what is the grind like? Would you consider it a very smooth convex across the face, or more of a blended partial flat grind?

I've never touched a real Kramer, but I test drove a Z. Kramer at a SLT. Wasn't too fond of it... odd shape being very tall at the heel, very small at the tip, long flat spot, small curve towards the tip, very steep angle of the edge in relation to the spine, so the handle angled up very high. I liked the handle a lot. All of that is just personal preference, and I could get used to it. The biggest thing I noticed as a detriment was the blade face was dead flat from spine to bevel, and for a knife that tall, it had a lot of sticktion.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I picked up a Kramer Z at SLT too, not the same knife.
    Jason

This photo may give you an idea of the grind. He does the wave. At least on this knife he did. (It's a good thing)

Here is the western handle one I exchanged for a meiji,you can see the grind

Here is the Salty version meiji........MUCH BETTER!!!

It looks like they have a bit of hollow in the middle section. Is thst an optical delusion?

Nope, that's the low point in the "wave". I've been preaching the wave to makers with little success.

I guess I should have mentioned that's how Kramer does it.