What's a Kramer actually like?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Nguyen

Reaction score
I've always wondered. I always hear that they're really, really good, but never a definitive description.

What are their grinds like? Is it kind of a blended bevel deal, or a smooth convex face? Asymmetric?

I'm just going to assume fit and finish is as good as it gets, and heat treat would have to be solid. Is there anything in particular that makes a Kramer really, really shine? Overall performance, how is it using one?

Something I've wondered for years, myself.

If anyone is crazy enough to lend me theirs, I'll gladly accept. Haha. Yeah right!

Scott Sebastian (Salty) has talked a lot about his Kramer, both good and bad, and the modifications he asked for in his custom knife. You can find some of it in these pages or on his blog with excellent photographs as always.

I've talked to a few people that have used a Kramer. The informal consensus is they have essentially perfect fit and finish, very comfortable, heavy and good but not great cutters. Edge retention is mediocre and sharpening is very easy.

I can say that the Salty version mieji in 52100 is/was a pure performer.I loved everything about that knife except the tip,the tip flexed so much it was hard to sharpen.I do miss that knife........I wish I was not such a greedy b^stard:(

I have two. I wholeheartily disagree with the heavy part, they are extemely light for such a substantial knife. It is a great cutter as well, though if you don't like tall knives you may not think so. Edge retention and ease of sharpening is right though.

I have a 9" Kramer 52100 chefs knife. Without a doubt my favorite knife. One thing Kramer does so well is the distal taper, both on the blade and the handle. Besides being beautiful this adds depth to the balance so that the knife seems lighter than it is. F&F are perfect, the geometry is great (no problems wedging), it holds a very decent edge, and it's easy to sharpen. I use it a lot.

Dean, what is the grind like? Would you consider it a very smooth convex across the face, or more of a blended partial flat grind?

I've never touched a real Kramer, but I test drove a Z. Kramer at a SLT. Wasn't too fond of it... odd shape being very tall at the heel, very small at the tip, long flat spot, small curve towards the tip, very steep angle of the edge in relation to the spine, so the handle angled up very high. I liked the handle a lot. All of that is just personal preference, and I could get used to it. The biggest thing I noticed as a detriment was the blade face was dead flat from spine to bevel, and for a knife that tall, it had a lot of sticktion.

This photo may give you an idea of the grind. He does the wave. At least on this knife he did. (It's a good thing)

dt8.jpg

015-2.jpg

Here is the western handle one I exchanged for a meiji,you can see the grind

004-16.jpg

Here is the Salty version meiji........MUCH BETTER!!!

It looks like they have a bit of hollow in the middle section. Is thst an optical delusion?:biggrin:

Nope, that's the low point in the "wave". I've been preaching the wave to makers with little success.

I guess I should have mentioned that's how Kramer does it.

Can you describe the wave? Not understanding what you mean by a wave grind?

Got a Shun Kramer Damascus as a gift a while ago and a meji after . Maybe not the real thing, but great fit and finish. Edges have held up very well for me, feel like slight convex grind I guess. Stropped them back after month of use and are just about as sharp as anything I have. I'm a lefty but still use the meji quite a bit with d handle for righty. Very easy knife to work with. I'd love a chance to try an original. Maybe I'll sell my car and try to buy one. I'm glad makers like him can see the kind of financial reward he's getting. I hope some of the outstanding makers here can also taste this kind of success. I also hope to be able to buy a few of their knives while I can still almost justify and afford to buy them. I dream about making my own . This forum is inspiring .

Don, if I'm remembering correctly, you can see the grind on Bob's knives pretty good while he's working on them in the CBS video on YouTube. If not that vid then one of his other ones.

Can you describe the wave? Not understanding what you mean by a wave grind?

there is a concave section in the middle. it would help with sticktion, i imagine, especially with how tall so many of the Kramer knives are.

Don, if I'm remembering correctly, you can see the grind on Bob's knives pretty good while he's working on them in the CBS video on YouTube. If not that vid then one of his other ones.

Hmm, thanks Dave! I'll have to take a look again.

I have vintage Dexters that have that same grind, although not as nearly refined.

On Lake Michigan we have waves that we call "rollers". A lazy wave that has a relatively steep incline that doesn't break and then it descends into a long valley before trying to repeat itself. The spine is the top of the second roller.

the "wave grind" is a very interesting thing. I have been thinking about it but never tried it. I will do so on my next knife. I wonder what the radius is on bob's curved grinder platen. I will first try it with my 300mm wheel.

Scott, people down here don't understand the size of our great lakes. When I tell them, you can't see across them, just like the ocean, they have twenty foot swells, and are very deep and dangerous, they look puzzled. lol.

Lake Michigan still provides the best tap water in the world. I truly miss it. Always icy cold, no foul smell, or fishy-bleachy taste.

One if my old chefs had a few. 2 chefs and a 150 petty. The petty was the only one I used, and I loved it. The F&F was amazing. I only used it on occasion, but every time, it was scary sharp, and Chef always raved about the ease of shape ring and retention. Only knife that have me stitches, when I lost the tip if my thumb having to have sowed back on. I still miss that knife for fruit and hand work

This is my original Kramer. Much taller and heavier than the second. You can kind of get an idea of the grind by the reflection.

kramer6.jpg

Back