Quantcast
Grits - who loves 'em? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grits - who loves 'em?

Love 'em. Plain white grits, simmered in salted water, lots of butter, S&P, with sausage and eggs scrambled in the sausage pan to get all the brown bits into the eggs. The eggs go in the buttery grits.

Also like to saute some garlic in olive oil, add some good summer tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add saffron, thyme, and grits. When done, serve topped with grated cheese. If there are leftovers, pack them into a pan and put them in the refrigerator overnite. Cook some bacon for breakfast the next morning, slice up the cold grits into slabs, and fry them in the bacon grease.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    If you don't like grits, you haven't had them prepared properly. Enough cream,salt, butter and (but not necessarily) cheese can turn even crappy grits to delicious.
    A lot of people are partial to Anson Mills down here, but I've been using Carolina Plantation for a while now. They also sell cowpeas and a Carolina Gold rice which is unbelievable. A true heirloom rice that is readily available....ummmm.....
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

All right, what the heck are grits? A side, a main? is there a "typical" way to cook them? Yeah I know google, but? Help out a dude north of the 49th...

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

cornmeal or in italian polenta usually cooked similar to mush or cream of wheat. often time made savory by the addition of herbs or cheese. can be served as a side or made hardier and served as a main dish.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    All right, what the heck are grits? A side, a main? is there a "typical" way to cook them? Yeah I know google, but? Help out a dude north of the 49th...
    Grits are stone-ground corn meal. They are a side dish usually associated with breakfast in the Southern U.S.
    You could refer to it as American polenta.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I've always had hominy grits. (I know you use hominy in your posole, Son!) For grits, the hominy is dried and coarsely ground. I've always had them added to boiling water with some salt & then simmered until water is absorbed/grits are tender. I'll also add them to something that needs thickening/ texture. They're a savory side dish. Probably anything that would be good seasoning for corn, polenta, or potatoes would work with grits. (We know someone who went to a restaurant in the South and had grits, then came back to the Seattle area complaining how nasty they were. Turns out he'd put sugar on them. It would be like putting sugar on a side dish of mashed potatoes.)

A couple classic combinations use grits as a side dish for breakfast--with eggs, sausage, fried green tomatoes...or with fried fish.

Treating the corn to make hominy is supposed to make some of the nutrients more digestible, too.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Mmm breakfast.

The only place you'll find grits around here is on the wrong side of town.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    cornmeal or in italian polenta usually cooked similar to mush or cream of wheat. often time made savory by the addition of herbs or cheese. can be served as a side or made hardier and served as a main dish.
    Guido Grits I love them

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The only place you'll find grits around here is on the wrong side of town.

+ Reply to Thread