Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disinfecting a Wooden Board

Possum Piss was my favorite band in college.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I can't believe that keeping the board is even an option here.

Just out of curiosity: is it a custom made board? If it is, I could see trying to find a way to salvage it. If it's one of those "off the rack" boards...

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal if it can be cleaned. I've seen people who routinely changed baby diapers on kitchen counters, and they only 'cleaned up' with some water and maybe a spritz of Fantastic. And some of the fresh produce, etc. has crap from all kinds of animals and bugs that does not get fully cleaned off by a lot of home cooks before it gets consumed.

How can this be worse then eating some peanut butter, which is chock full of bug parts?

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    I'm not sure why this is such a big deal if it can be cleaned.
    +1
    Unless the board is a POS to begin with, just clean it with a little extra attention, and get on with life. Can you imagine how many times that same possum pissed on your patio furniture, and are you dead yet?

Quote Originally Posted by mikemac View Post
    +1
    Unless the board is a POS to begin with, just clean it with a little extra attention, and get on with life. Can you imagine how many times that same possum pissed on your patio furniture, and are you dead yet?
    Yes,but he's not cutting food on his patio furniture(I hope) and serving it to his family and friends. Chuck it in the bin.

You could always clean it as people have suggested and then use one of those flexi-mats on top of it. After a while, I bet you will get used to using it again, begin using the board without the mat, and eventually it will lose its stigma. Or you can get another board that is exactly the same, send them both out to be refinished and maybe even change them a bit, and when they come back you wouldn't know which board had the urine on it. You just need to build a proper level of ignorance into your life.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I once saw some dead animal parts on a cutting board -- surely that's worse then just their pee!?! And the poop shoots from a bunch of shrimp! And even a ton of internal fish parts! I don't get it -- is possum pee poisonous? How is it any worse then some of the other things that routinely hit cutting boards?

Just what I was saying. Possum's gonna get on the board one way or another, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    Just out of curiosity: is it a custom made board? If it is, I could see trying to find a way to salvage it. If it's one of those "off the rack" boards...
    no, it's not custom. but i'm only 26 and not made of money!

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    And even a ton of internal fish parts!
    good point, i've had plenty of lovely fish innards all over it. i eat kidneys too which process urine... funny the way we categorize things into what is and isn't gross