Salt plate grilling. Anybody?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWells

Reaction score
Has anybody used this or tried this? Does this have any professional legs to it? Or is it just another way for Sur la Table to make obscene amounts of money.

Any experience with it? Trying to think out the logistics from a professional point of view. Will it sit on a broiler for a 4hr shift? Would I need to baby it in any way? Cleaning at the end of the night, or a one use item?

from what it said you can use it a few times. But remember salt "melts" for a lack of a better word. I myself haven't done it before. I have been wanting to do the salt crust type of cooking tho.

I'm thinking of searing hamachi and other light fish on it. I wonder if oil decreases its lifespan?

I used it before for thin beef and tuna, works well.

Any further comments on its use? In a pro-kitchen, length of use, re-usability, approx. ideal sear temp, length of pre-heating?

Just be careful in a humid environment if you haven't used it in a while. It requires a SLOW heat up. Otherwise, it can 'splode. Don't ask me how I know.

So maybe SLT is on to something the with transport rack? Preheat carefully in an over, then move it to the broiler. Do you pre-oil the fish/meat like normal, or does that decrease the longevity/increase cleaning/inconvenience?

Thanks for all the great info guys. So if this was a fad a few years ago, and my culinary area is about 5-10 years behind, will I be hailed as avant garde?

Latest posts

Back