is it Monday already?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Burke

Reaction score
Did anyone else Have "ONE OF THOSE DAYS" today? It wasn't all bad But it sure did seem like monday. I am trying to do a special knife for someone and today was the second try That I messed up on. I did get two billets of Tamahagane welded up and folded six times each, one more to do then cut all the bars up combine them into one and twelve more folds. this will give me the kawagane for two or three swords and a kitchen knife or two. then I have to make the shingane and do final weld before forging blades.

Yeah, sounds horrible. Why don't you try doing something productive? :razz::razz:

Yeah, I second that...

Sheesh, Bill. I'd hate to see your Fridays. So, now I have to get back to work... can't let Bill have all the fun here...

-M

Damn Murphy and his stupid law!

I guess you are like Albert Einstein:
It is better to laugh about your problems than to cry about them. It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.

No problem:)
Im excited to see the pics on Colins pice though :)

In Norway we have a saying "alle gode ting er tre", that means "it always turn out right the third time" :)
I have plenty of time, Im going to stay on this planet for another 50 years :) (unless I get bored and head back to Krypton)

Almost, so the technique that I observed and that is written in several of the books that I have begins with the raw bloom. The bloom is heated and flattened into wafers that are then quenched and broken up into small pieces that are then sorted as to carbon content. these pieces are then stacked on a plate made of a larger wafer. the pieces are wrapped with wet paper, a clay slurry (mud) and covered in rice straw ashes and put in the forge and welded together. this bar is then folded about six times, it depends on the steel and the way it acts. this bar is then drawn out and cut into three pieces. One or more of these pieces are combined with pieces from previous forgings and welded and folded twelve to eighteen times aagain depending on the way the steel is acting during forging. when the steel can be cut and folded without the cut ends tearing then it is ready. it is then drawn out and folded into a U shape and the shingane steel (which is low carbon and has been welded and folded similar to the kawagane but without the cutting and restacking) bar is put in the middle like a hot dog in a bun and welded into one piece. this is the drawn into a bar that is forged into a sort of preform for the knife/sword desired.

Ok you are correct and it is not yours.

Sorry Oivid.
I love the fact that you A) don't give up &
b) don't mind telling people you F up. Most makers of your level I would think would not be so open about messing up?
Is it just that kitchen knives are tricky or do you some times have trouble on other kinds of knives?
I get sick every time a dish gets sent back or I burn the crab cakes. It only costs me a few $$ and a little bit of time it's got to be much harder for a knife maker. All those hours spent, the cost of materials...

I also have to give you cred for you honesty!

Its been a pleasure doing business with you so far. Again I have lots of time, so dont worry. Im really looking forward to Colins pice though. I often admire other peoples pieces, and Colin is the one that made me order from you. So cant wait to see pics :)

Is there a point where there is no point of folding any more? Correct me if Im wrong, but more layers means a tighter structure in the steel? are there any optimal times you should fold?

I love the fact that you A) don't give up &
b) don't mind telling people you F up. Most makers of your level I would think would not be so open about messing up?
Is it just that kitchen knives are tricky or do you some times have trouble on other kinds of knives?
I get sick every time a dish gets sent back or I burn the crab cakes. It only costs me a few $$ and a little bit of time it's got to be much harder for a knife maker. All those hours spent, the cost of materials...

Hi Colin, Kitchen knifes and utesils seem to give me the most trouble, the sanmai especially. If the forging it not perfect the core shifts and then you get strips of core where you dont want them and/soft cladding on the edge. I also just recently (on two occasions) found that if you forge too thin the stainless will decarburize the core all the way through and the knife will not harden. That caused me to throw away most of the last batch of sanmai and was the ruination of several knives. For me fing thing up seems to be part of the learning experiance and god and everbody knows that I am not perfect so why try to make people think I am. I on occassion still screw up a hunter or bowie but not often and it is usually in the quench. the time and the materials lost are a ***** but the lesson learned is valuable so I just take it in stride.

I also have to give you cred for you honesty!

Its been a pleasure doing business with you so far. Again I have lots of time, so dont worry. Im really looking forward to Colins pice though. I often admire other peoples pieces, and Colin is the one that made me order from you. So cant wait to see pics :)

Is there a point where there is no point of folding any more? Correct me if Im wrong, but more layers means a tighter structure in the steel? are there any optimal times you should fold?

Thanks Oivind, I have been having fun with our project even though it is very frustrating.

Most of the literature that I have or have read say that there is no benifit to folding more than 18 times and that things start to go downhill shortly after, in other words the steel starts to degrade. and you can make the pattern so fine that it is undetectible without magnification.

I will once again say that the suji you made me gets more Wows then any other knife I have, or any one else for that matter. I can say that it very well may be the best kitchen knife in the world! The knife holds a edge like no other.

I will once again say that the suji you made me gets more Wows then any other knife I have, or any one else for that matter. I can say that it very well may be the best kitchen knife in the world! The knife holds a edge like no other.

How does the sheep handle do? Do you use some kind of mineral oil on it or anything?

I know you are asking Niloc And I encourage him to answer also. but in my experiance any kind of animal fat/oil is better for sheep horn than a mineral based oil. with constant use the natural oil transfered from the hand seems to be enough but a suppliment won't hurt.

I use mink oil mixed with bees wax. I have herd of horn being stabilized with wood hardener in a vac. Like put it in a jar with the wood stab & use a food saver jar attachment. I don't know if that would work or not? But the mink oil works good, water proofs and smells nice.

Just a tease
586ce395.png

My picture taking and editing skills leave more than a little to be desired but here are a few more of colin's new toy.

standard.jpg
standard.jpg
standard.jpg

Specs are:
San mai construction 52100 and 416
blade length: 10.375 inches
thickness at bolster: .100 with full distal taper
blade width: 2.125 inches
Bolster: copper and nickel silver Mokume
Handle: Sheep Horn
Pins: mosaic Copper and brass
Balance point is right at the front of the bolsters on my initials. I Made the Mokume and welded the San Mai.

I think you and Mario (RRLOVER) have the same ottoman or whatever that is you guys use for a background, haha.

Bill:

You keep raising the bar! .) Now my espectations are sky high!

Colin:

Congrats !!

58879ac8.png

849b6bd6.png

Here are a few more pic's Bill sent me...when will that dam mailman come

Colin:

Congratz. Its an amazing knife. Its a beauty now, but the true beauty will start to show when you use it. There are few knives that get more beautiful after usage :) I truly admire you taste in knives. I love it! :)

Latest posts

Back