Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is it Monday already?

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.

is it Monday already?

Did anyone else Have "ONE OF THOSE DAYS" today? It wasn't all bad But it sure did seem like monday. I am trying to do a special knife for someone and today was the second try That I messed up on. I did get two billets of Tamahagane welded up and folded six times each, one more to do then cut all the bars up combine them into one and twelve more folds. this will give me the kawagane for two or three swords and a kitchen knife or two. then I have to make the shingane and do final weld before forging blades.

Tamahagane...kawagane...shingane....I love it when you talk dirty!!!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Yeah, sounds horrible. Why don't you try doing something productive?

Yeah, I second that...

Sheesh, Bill. I'd hate to see your Fridays. So, now I have to get back to work... can't let Bill have all the fun here...

-M

Ummm please tell me it 's not mi mine?

Damn Murphy and his stupid law!

I guess you are like Albert Einstein:
    It is better to laugh about your problems than to cry about them. It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Ummm please tell me it 's not mi mine?
    Ok you are correct and it is not yours.

Sorry Oivid.

No problem
    Im excited to see the pics on Colins pice though

In Norway we have a saying "alle gode ting er tre", that means "it always turn out right the third time"
    I have plenty of time, Im going to stay on this planet for another 50 years (unless I get bored and head back to Krypton)

How many layers in this knife?

According to this site http://www.kjartan.org/swordfaq/section09.html

Kawagane is folded anywhere from 12 to 16 times, depending on the smith and the metal he is working with, and so could have from 4000 to 65000 layers

***? Is this right?

Almost, so the technique that I observed and that is written in several of the books that I have begins with the raw bloom. The bloom is heated and flattened into wafers that are then quenched and broken up into small pieces that are then sorted as to carbon content. these pieces are then stacked on a plate made of a larger wafer. the pieces are wrapped with wet paper, a clay slurry (mud) and covered in rice straw ashes and put in the forge and welded together. this bar is then folded about six times, it depends on the steel and the way it acts. this bar is then drawn out and cut into three pieces. One or more of these pieces are combined with pieces from previous forgings and welded and folded twelve to eighteen times aagain depending on the way the steel is acting during forging. when the steel can be cut and folded without the cut ends tearing then it is ready. it is then drawn out and folded into a U shape and the shingane steel (which is low carbon and has been welded and folded similar to the kawagane but without the cutting and restacking) bar is put in the middle like a hot dog in a bun and welded into one piece. this is the drawn into a bar that is forged into a sort of preform for the knife/sword desired.