Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The World of Hocho

Thanks for sharing that, Sara!

Great post, thanks!

Great post indeed, thoughtful in many ways. It makes me wonder if, on some level, a craftsman has somewhat less freedom than a "pure" artist as it has to find the perfect blend between what his/her inspiratons dictate and a practical level of efficiency for the tool in regard to its final use (and final user, as you've so clearly explained in the case of knives).

Being more aware of philosophy and mentality of craftsmen and artists, I think, makes a big difference in everyday life. I have more appreciation for everything I purchase (or grecieve) - I have much more respect for tools. I actually care where and how these things were made. In an intense consumption based society we live in, we are often driven by the idea to buy, buy and buy as opposed to taking more care and using something for a lifetime.

Maybe there is a place for disposable goods, but I am committed to chose long lasting good quality things! I appreciate that all the craftsmen we met and artists I know have given me this perspective in my life. Am I too picky for my own good? No, I think my life is more interesting and flavorful this way !

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Yeah, I agree thanks for the post, very nice of you to share

I do REALLY like this post. Somehow it comes down to the trend that western and westernized societies have taken: expendable items or the discovery that the industry and commerce at one stage made it so that mass production and demand created a system where it is possible to buy something cheaper and just throw it away when consumed, rather than buying something in a considerated way and hold unto the purchased item and keep it in functional shape as long as possible. Some identify this with mr. Bic and his "new" way of interpreting commerce:disposable and cheap lighters and razor blades... if someone wished there could possibly be room here for some philosophical considerations... But better stick with healthy, sharp and shiny blades!

Excellent post thank you Sara

quantumcloud509 , ChiliPepper, Sarge -

Thank you for taking your time to read it. I'm very proud to tell stories about our craftsmen and to carry quality of products from Japan... It may take extra care and maintenance, as well as skills, to use our products properly, but they not only perform in such an amazing way, and they can last lifetime and even more. Our products also speak by themselves about how much craftsmen care about what they do. It shows through their performance and ability to be repaired relatively easily in right people's hands.

I hope we are doing justice to what we carry! We always strives to be a better vendor so that we deserve to have these amazing products.