Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: grinding down the bolster

grinding down the bolster

My early adventures in sharpening have produced a knife (10" Sabatier Carbon Chef's) where part of the edge is ground down a little past where the bolster extends. So part of the edge won't hit the board until I grind down the bolster a bit. Any advice for doing this, other than using my coarsest stone and having at it?

Belt sander or an angle grinder. Just be careful and don't go crazy on the grinding.

Use sandpaper, and level the finger guard with the relief bevel. I use sandpaper on linen, grit P120 to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    Belt sander or an angle grinder. Just be careful and don't go crazy on the grinding.

+1
    a. I wld prefer the belt sander.. sort of roll over the protruding part of bolster

b. IF I have to use an angle grinder, either I secure Knife has to be strongly secured or secure the Angle Grinder (AG) and bring the knife to the AG. I prefer the latter as it is safer. Ag with variable speed makes sense. IT does seem that there are more grit option on a belt sander than an angle grinder.

rgds
    d

it would be the fastest way. just finish with sanding paper when you think you've done enough.

If you don't have a belt sander/grinder, a sharp file, vise, and cautious patience will go a long way. Afterwards you can clean up with sand paper.

Absolutely the worst thing about the Sab's...mine is due for more work again.

once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I wish you lived close by. I'd borrow it for a few days and tune it up for you, just because. Is there anyone local who could do it for you?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

That's true. It depends on the Sab, but in general, you're right. This is a minor annoyance, though I think Sabs (most) are worth the little bit of extra work.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com