Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: grinding down the bolster

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    50
    not sure I have easy access to a belt sander or angle grinder. will check in with some friends, but may well end up filing this down.

    after thinking a little more, I see why my original idea of using a stone wouldn't be so good.

    it would be best to grind from the side and make the bolster flush with the side of the blade, yes?

  2. #12
    Canada's Sharpest Lefty Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,242
    I match the angle up with the primary (in sharpening terms) bevel. This allows you to sharpen just like it's a Japanese knife.
    09/06

    Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

    Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

  3. #13
    Senior Member Benuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Amstelveen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,304
    Put a strip of sandpaper on your stone, and perform edge trailing strokes as you were stropping.

  4. #14
    You could either file down the sides to match with the blade face, or you can file from the choil forward. I prefer the choil approach because it wont leave you with large scratches on the blade face and is easier to clean up, but it really depends on the knife and the bolster.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I match the angle up with the primary (in sharpening terms) bevel. This allows you to sharpen just like it's a Japanese knife.

    this is essentially sharpening the bolster as if it is part of the edge, yes?

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Put a strip of sandpaper on your stone, and perform edge trailing strokes as you were stropping.
    the end result here would be that the bolster is flush with the face of the blade?

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    You could either file down the sides to match with the blade face, or you can file from the choil forward. I prefer the choil approach because it wont leave you with large scratches on the blade face and is easier to clean up, but it really depends on the knife and the bolster.
    you are suggesting here to remove the entire portion of the bolster that extends below the handle, starting from the choil and moving forward, correct? interesting suggestion, will have to take a closer look at the knife and see how that would change my grip/hand position.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Jmadams13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    990
    Here I what a freind of mine did for me on a old K-Sab if this helps. He did take a lo off as I was going to convert into a suji, but gives you an idea

    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

  9. #19
    Senior Member Benuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Amstelveen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,304
    Crimedog72 wrote:
    the end result here would
    be that the bolster is flush
    with the face of the blade?

    Exactly. You don't need to remove the entire finger guard, as Jmadams13's picture shows.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Jmadams13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    990
    I only had mphim remove it completely, as I was converting it into a slicer. This is what the grind looked like when rescued it. It's the same idea tho, meaning grind it down so the edge is still servicable with out the finger guard getting in the way.

    Last edited by Jmadams13; 12-13-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: I'm a moron
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •