Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: grinding down the bolster

The craziest part is, that knife was very likely sharpened on a grinder before you saved it, yet the person doing the damage didn't think to take the finger guard back while working the edge. That all could have been avoided. Sheesh!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

That explains a lot! I was wondering about the regularity of the heel area.

Probably why the antique store practically begged me to take it, lol. Turned out to make a nice slicer though, even with the 1/4"! spine at the heel.

Anyways, enough hijacking on part. Crimedog, any pis of your knife, so we can get an idea of how far you need to go?
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    The craziest part is, that knife was very likely sharpened on a grinder before you saved it, yet the person doing the damage didn't think to take the finger guard back while working the edge. That all could have been avoided. Sheesh!
    Yeah, there were grinding marks all over the knife. I was able to get a lot of them out, but some still remain, bummer
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Attachment 12077
    Attachment 12078
    Attachment 12079
    Attachment 12080

not the best photos, but hopefully they'll give you an idea. turns out i do have access to both a belt sander and angle grinder, so that may help.

my first attempt at attaching photos, will have to figure out how to make them appear w/o clicking the links.

might help you to attach pictures:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-d437ec09e550/

much better

=D

I have some older knives with the same problem. Could I put the knife in a vise and use a Dremel tool to do the grinding? I don't have a belt sander or angle grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by pentastich View Post
    I have some older knives with the same problem. Could I put the knife in a vise and use a Dremel tool to do the grinding? I don't have a belt sander or angle grinder.
    yes, you can. Make sure you wrapp the blade so, you don't scratch it up and go slow and easy. and actually if you use the finer drum sander it will work cleaner and better then the grinfing stone attachment.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.