Quantcast
Stone advice for Takeda kit, and overall.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone advice for Takeda kit, and overall.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...

Stone advice for Takeda kit, and overall.

What would you guys recommend as far as stone advice for my knife kit? Currently I am strictly Takeda AS (7 of them). I have had two knives tipped. One still is ATM. The only stone I have is a 10k...which Ive used only on my straight razor. Would you recommend purchasing a kit, would you recommend purchasing used stones, would you recommend a ceramic rod? Currently I get my knives sharpened by a dude in Seattle when i travel over there to visit. I have to learn...Im scared to mess up, but I have to learn.

Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Takedas are pretty hard...steel wont be too responsive to ceramic rod. Take the plunge, and watch a few vids....you'll do fine.

I think the best starting point is the old bester to rika...very affordable, too.

Would love to see some pics of the Takeda fam...I miss mine.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I definitely wouldn't bother with the ceramic rod. I only use mine in emergencies or when I'm lazy, they are no substitute for stones at all.

You might want to pick up some beaters at Goodwill or Target to practice on. They won't feel like your Takedas, but you'll learn some useful habits and won't be terribly upset if you scratch them up.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Takedas are pretty hard...steel wont be too responsive to ceramic rod. Take the plunge, and watch a few vids....you'll do fine.

I think the best starting point is the old bester to rika...
    +1. I remember watching a Dave video online where he sharpens a Takeda. Maybe this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezIEKGk9T0 Takedas are fairly easy to sharpen due to the secondary bevel. On these guys, I'd just go for it rather than do a practice.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Out of stock?

Much like the knives that are regularly recommended on the forum, I kind of feel that there really aren't any duds in the group of stones that are often touted as favourites by forum members.

So it really comes down to personal preference and how much you want to spend. For me, the beston, bester, rika combo is for me where the law of dimishing returns kicks in. This is a great set (especially for carbon) and anything more expensive than this is will not offer an improvement in performance in relation to increase in price. There's a reason this set is so highly regarded.

If there are certain characteristics that you know you want in a stone, for example splash'n go, excellent feeling and feedback, or super fast cutting ability, there would be other recommendations.
    Last edited by Dusty; 12-10-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Can't spell.

what would be a great single splash n go stone without having to finish on another stone, say if you already have a good edge? i currently use the bester rika combo and i find it a chore to have to take those out and soak in water each time i want to sharpen, sharpening is a necessary evil not a hobby of mine, rather be using the knives on food, not maintain tools.

I use a shapton 4k for quick touch ups...not my favorite, but it works.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

+ Reply to Thread