The Chef Magazine 1910

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
A short lived publication but a very good read of the top chef's in the country at that time .
vrDKDl.png
[/IMG]

kp4ySl.png
[/IMG]

D2QbGl.png
[/IMG]

I love these old recipes with truffles. 2 pounds for a 12 pound turkey sounds nice but would make for a pretty expensive bird... I have an old German cookbook from the 1880s where one recipe starts with "Brush and peel 6 pounds of truffles..."

Stefan

"Brush and peel 6 pounds of truffles..."

sounds Ok to me
What is the name of the cookbook Stefan .

This was after the great Chef Charles Ranhofer left he was chef until 1896 and made Delmonico's the restaurant know world over
and created many dishes such as lobster newburg , He left us with the great cookbook Epicurean which you can find on line .
MuTNw.jpg
[/IMG]

and the kitchen of the restaurant.
uGQQ1l.jpg
[/IMG]

Chef Prosper Grevillot also wrote cookbooks which three were combined and can be found on line under his name.

I saw that online version, have to figure out how to get those on my Ipad, there seem to be a few readers that can handle them. The pictures show cleaning devices for forks (top) and knives (bottom). The last short paragraph is nice, it talks about kitchen boards and wooden utensils. Something like 'Kitchen (=cutting) boards and wooden utensils, of which the best are made from maple because this is the whitest, are scrubbed with hot water, soap, and sand. However, not with soda because this will make the wood gray."

Stefan

Thanks !
I will try to fine it English .

Very cool. This is a special edition for the German-American readers with an appendix on American cuisine. I hadn't seen that one before.

Stefan

Back