Quantcast
New knives, need a new board advice, around $60-70. Always have used plastic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New knives, need a new board advice, around $60-70. Always have used plastic.

New knives, need a new board advice, around $60-70. Always have used plastic.

Hey everyone, my mom just bought her first "real knives" you will probably rip on this decision, but she bought Cutco. Mainly because she's always had these cheap Chicago Cutlery knives and never really sharpened them, so even these are a huge upgrade to her. Even if Wusthof/Henckles/Shun knives are better. Anyway I want to get her a real cutting board for christmas so the knives aren't ruined on a cheap plastic board. The board I'm considering is this 12x18x2.25 Maple Boos Block: http://www.amazon.com/John-Boos--12-...+cutting+board

In the very little research I've done in the last 10 minutes or so, I heard Boos Boards were good boards, but when I got into the more "hardcore" user forums I heard about Boardsmith and Brooklyn Butcher Blocks. I'm thinking these are a little out of my price range though. My mom will probably be using the board like 3-4 times a week, for Saturday and Sunday dinners and cutting some fruit during the week. What would your advice be? Like I mentioned I'm trying to keep my budget at $60-70.

Thanks!
    Sean

Welcome!

I think the knives she has will damage the cutting board more than the other way around. I would get her old knives (much better than her new ones) sharpened before getting her a nicer board.

Cheers!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Welcome aboard Sean - I would go with this one instead it's end grain where the Boos is edge grain. I have one and it's a great board for the money. If you do a search you might find it cheaper else where. I got mine for $45 shipped on a special somewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Catskill-Craft...+cutting+board

I've spoken to the owners and bought boards from Philadelphia Butcher Block and Board. Excellent bang for the buck. Not as thick as Boos but plenty thick enough for a home kitchen.

http://www.blockandboard.com/product...ing-Board.html
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Let me play devil's advocate and ask you whether your mother is prepared to give a wooden board the care and maintenance it needs, or if she is like my mother, who puts her plastic board in the dishwasher to get it "really clean".

The serrated edges on some of those Cutco jobs will tear up a wood board pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Let me play devil's advocate and ask you whether your mother is prepared to give a wooden board the care and maintenance it needs, or if she is like my mother, who puts her plastic board in the dishwasher to get it "really clean".
    +1

I was thinking the exact same thing. A wood board requires care. If you're looking for something that does not require much care, I would recommend a Hi-Soft board.

It's not a looker, but it works great. It's easy to clean, low maintenance, and great on edges.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

If she's using Cutco knives a piece of glass would be fine.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    If she's using Cutco knives a piece of glass would be fine.
    Or slate

How old is your mother? Heavy wooden boards are not always people's favorite if they are on in age. Just throwing that out there.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Haha I knew the ripping of the Cutcos was coming. The real story is my neighbor (a cutco rep) came over one day for hours, and convinced my mom she needed the knives. My dad bought the set for her as a Christmas gift. When I came home and heard she just blew $1500+ on Cutco I nearly dropped to the floor. If I was home I would have argued for Shuns or Henckels. But hey I guess she wont know any different from Cutco, so she'll think they're amazing.

Is it just the serrated knives that will tear up the board? Or will the plain edge damage boards too? We have plenty of plastic boards she could use for bread and serrated knives only. I think my mom is willing to take care of it, especially because of her new knives. @mano I don't think she would do that haha, I will be sure She is in her 50s and there's plenty of space on the counter, so I'm thinking she can keep it stationary and keep bread or something like that on top of it.