Shokunin by Jesse Flower-Ambroch: Featuring Mr. Sugai

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
So a while back, we had film makers come to Korin and film Mr. Sugai for an entire day. Yes, from the moment he woke up to when he went to bed.

My mother and I went to see the documentary play in a theater. It was a wonderful! They also played other films of people with odd jobs or dying crafts.

This is the film, I hope you enjoy! :)
[video=vimeo;44994641]http://vimeo.com/44994641[/video]

Good film, but I have to wonder if the filmmaker was making a point by showing the surgical mask hanging from a hook and then showing Mr. Sugai doing all that grinding without wearing it.

Nice film! Made me feel a little sad as well.

I'm glad we have people like Jon and Dave out there keeping these traditions alive in a new generation and context though. Maybe it will simply grow into something new instead of disappearing.

Good film, but I have to wonder if the filmmaker was making a point by showing the surgical mask hanging from a hook and then showing Mr. Sugai doing all that grinding without wearing it.

I actually wondered this too. lol

I was just happy that it didn't give me motion sickness like a lot of documentaries do.

I think the mask was there to emphasize how things are changing, not about safety. Very cool video. watched it a few times.

I would love to apprentice under Mr. Sugai.

But then again I live half a world away. LOL.

=D

The film was playing at the IFC center in Manhattan.

Here are the rest of the documentaries that played. They were about 5-10 minutes long, but very interesting.
The one about the man who believed that the world will end on March 21st, 2011 was especially interesting. :)

http://www.docnyc.net/film/odd-jobs/#.UNHIILbgLJw

Back