Quantcast
Petty/Utility for Professional Use
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petty/Utility for Professional Use

Petty/Utility for Professional Use

Hi any recommendations for for an inbetweener petty/utility? Need it for professional use and for things that are better suited to something bigger than a pairing knife but smaller than a chef's knife. Primarily used during prep but also on the line. Will be used in a professional kitchen so no drawer queens and something easy to care for night in night out.

~$150 top of price range
    Must be lightweight!
    Double Edge
    Easy to sharpen! Steel no preference so long as its easily sharpened, would prefer something NOT stainless however.
    Prefer something Japanese with a traditional handle but this is NOT absolutely necessary.

Thanks!

The Gesshin Ginga 150mm petty in White #2 seems to meet all of your criteria:

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...wa-petty.html#

If I remember well, the Hiromoto AS 150mm is remarkably thin behind the edge. Interest price setting.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/TenmiJyurakuSeries.html

This is what I use for prep and on the line: http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13178

It's $153, slightly above your price range, but the site also has a 5 1/4" that is only $129. It is white carbon #1 clad in stainless, which is perfect for me on the line. It takes a great edge, keeps it and has little to no upkeep because of the steel cladding (no need for oiling all the time). I'm also a big fan of anything Fujiwara Terayasu makes, so I'm a bit biased.

ANy thoughts on the moritaka 150mm petty?

As long as the ovegrind issues with those haven't been responded seriously, I wouldn't take the risk.

Alright scratch the moritaka off the list.

Looking at Korin and I'm seeing some interesting pieces that are on the lower end of my price range which always makes me happy. Any thoughts on the following:
    Masamoto Virgin Carbon Steel Petty
    $114, 70/30 edge, pakka wood handle, 61-62 HRc
    Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Petty $102, 70/30 edge, composite wood handle, 60 HRc
    Togiharu Virgin Carbon Steel Petty $110, 70/30 edge, POM resin handle, 60-62 HRc
    Suisin Inox Petty $79, 70/30 edge, composite wood handle, 58 HRC. Susin also has a similar High Carbon version for $62. Price intrigues me but also makes me worried.

Again any thoughts on these knives are for professional use so ease of use, sharpening edge-retention, weight and durability are all considerations. Would also like to hone it as needed on my MAC black rod.

Could I get an opinion on the Fujiwara FKM petty?

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Honestly the sharpest and longest lasting petty I have is the 150 petty Tanaka. I have about 6 pettys (none you are talking about sorry) and keep going back to my Tanaka.
    Chewie's the man.

I have a Masamoto VC petty that I'd be willing to part with for much less than your max price.