Petty/Utility for Professional Use

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams

Reaction score
Hi any recommendations for for an inbetweener petty/utility? Need it for professional use and for things that are better suited to something bigger than a pairing knife but smaller than a chef's knife. Primarily used during prep but also on the line. Will be used in a professional kitchen so no drawer queens and something easy to care for night in night out.

~$150 top of price range
Must be lightweight!
Double Edge
Easy to sharpen! Steel no preference so long as its easily sharpened, would prefer something NOT stainless however.
Prefer something Japanese with a traditional handle but this is NOT absolutely necessary.

Thanks!

This is what I use for prep and on the line: http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=02.211.150&dept_id=13178

It's $153, slightly above your price range, but the site also has a 5 1/4" that is only $129. It is white carbon #1 clad in stainless, which is perfect for me on the line. It takes a great edge, keeps it and has little to no upkeep because of the steel cladding (no need for oiling all the time). I'm also a big fan of anything Fujiwara Terayasu makes, so I'm a bit biased.

ANy thoughts on the moritaka 150mm petty?

Alright scratch the moritaka off the list.

Looking at Korin and I'm seeing some interesting pieces that are on the lower end of my price range which always makes me happy. Any thoughts on the following:
Masamoto Virgin Carbon Steel Petty
$114, 70/30 edge, pakka wood handle, 61-62 HRc
Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Petty $102, 70/30 edge, composite wood handle, 60 HRc
Togiharu Virgin Carbon Steel Petty $110, 70/30 edge, POM resin handle, 60-62 HRc
Suisin Inox Petty $79, 70/30 edge, composite wood handle, 58 HRC. Susin also has a similar High Carbon version for $62. Price intrigues me but also makes me worried.

Again any thoughts on these knives are for professional use so ease of use, sharpening edge-retention, weight and durability are all considerations. Would also like to hone it as needed on my MAC black rod.

Honestly the sharpest and longest lasting petty I have is the 150 petty Tanaka. I have about 6 pettys (none you are talking about sorry) and keep going back to my Tanaka.

I have a Masamoto VC petty that I'd be willing to part with for much less than your max price.

I have a Tanaka 150mm in blue #2 damascus and it's a great knife. Takes a wicked edge and holds it.

I use a Moritaka Supreme 150 and have absolutely no issue with overgrind. It is pretty reactiv so you have to take special are if you are using it at work. I actually stripped the kurouichi finish off and forced a ptina on the cladding and it holds up much better.

A lot of people I work with have the Suisin petty that you mentioned, and from the bit that I have used them, they are great. Especially for the money.

Latest posts

Back