What is your ideal angle for sharpening gyutos?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
Been playing around with angles on different knives and just curious what others prefer.

Most will end up with some 10-12 degree right, 15-16 left. If you've set a good convex relief bevel right it isn't that important, really.

I am dont know the exact angles I use. I would guess in the range of 12-14 degrees. Sujis are a little less, prob 10-12.

If it has a high HRC 62+ I can usually aim for 11 deg per side and it will hold pretty well. I go closer to 12-13 if it is closer to 60 HRC

I have settled on 16-18*.......I used to do the 10-12* but I feel at that angle the edge degrades quickly and you end up sharpening more often.

I have settled on 16-18*.......I used to do the 10-12* but I feel at that angle the edge degrades quickly and you end up sharpening more often.

Correction....I just busted out my wixey and I am at 14-16*

Most will end up with some 10-12 degree right, 15-16 left. If you've set a good convex relief bevel right it isn't that important, really.
Pretty much this but it does vary with the steel.

Right, I wasnt sure if he meant that he sharpened the knife differently to achieve a convex relief bevel.

My gyutos are probably about 10 degrees per side with usually a 90/10 or 80/20 asymmetry.

Correction....I just busted out my wixey and I am at 14-16*

How do you measure the edge bevel angle with a Wixey? I would like to check my gyutos but don't know how to check them accurately.

How do you measure the edge bevel angle with a Wixey? I would like to check my gyutos but don't know how to check them accurately.

I use a wixey digital angle finder.You zero it on the stone then place it on the blade.A very useful tool,I would be lost without it.

Right, I wasnt sure if he meant that he sharpened the knife differently to achieve a convex relief bevel.
Sometimes I'll sharpen at less acute angles or put a microbevel on a knife if the edge doesn't hold adequately.

I dont microbevel my edges and as a matter of fact i often eat fruits of that.

Depends whats your preference.
Some time ago I made thread about the difference in sharpness versus different sharpening angles. Conclusion was it does very little.

Since then I made up my mind and I think its not the sharpness but how the edge behaves with different angles. Or how you perceive it.

Just test, test, should not take more than 3 months, and find what angle fits you, or the feedback when cutting you like.
Some people like sharp but not so sharp, if you know what i mean.

Why would that be ill in any way?

I'd say my angle is fairly low, below 15 at least, not quite sure how low. I've tried higher angles but I prefer my own, I prefer the better cutting and I don't think making it higher improves the edge retention enough to make it worthwhile. Everyone has "their own" angle

Lots of different answers, but the common factor is about 12 - 15 degrees. Myself, I use about 14 - 15 degrees.
IMHO - it's just NOT crtitical the exact edge angle.
If the edge is really sharp, it will cut beautifully, and you would not know the difference between a 13 degree or 16 degree edge, Edge sharpness is what counts.
Aim for a 0.5 to 1.0 Micron edge. That is a really killer edge that you can get by using a CrO on leather strop, or a 3M PSA 0.3 micron strop. Check Dave Martell's videos for more detail.
Good Luck
Kiwi Doug:biggrin:

No idea. Based on some chart that calculated based on your blade height and mm's off the stone, I was something like 12-14, but I honestly don't remember or really care. My angle is that it doesn't matter too much, as long as you have a thin blade BTE and a smooth transition from edge to face.

No idea. Based on some chart that calculated based on your blade height and mm's off the stone, I was something like 12-14, but I honestly don't remember or really care. My angle is that it doesn't matter too much, as long as you have a thin blade BTE and a smooth transition from edge to face.

Lefty, what does BTE mean?

Different knives, different angles. A knife used for root veg, squash, etc... 18'ish. A laser used for brunoise...9'ish. An all around prep machine...14'ish. A protein slicer....12'ish.

I have different knives with different angles, that I use for different tasks.

And as far as knowing what angle I'm at. Simply knowing a 15 degree angle, and estimating off that works for me.

In my experience, lasers are only I need of tiny bevels, because of how thin they already are. Maybe it's just me, but somewhere along the lines, I developed into a "small bevel sharpener". Jon, is this your doing?

Do you find that when you sharpen at a lower angle you get a much larger bevel? I've been playing around with trying to minimize bevel size while keeping my angle around 16-18. It seems the lower angle you go the larger the bevel

A ten degree angle on a Konosuke is pretty small....

I think I once had steeper than that on a thinned Takeda, it too was a small bevel.

Interesting. Any tips on getting as small of a bevel as possible?

I don't even keep a consistent angle along the entire edge. I make a couple of inches near the tip slightly more acute than the rest of the blade, and I make the last inch by the heel a little more obtuse. The tip is a little extra sharp and the heel is a little extra sturdy. When I first started that happened by accident and I found that I like it that way.

Latest posts

Back