Quantcast
Another New Knife Thread
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another New Knife Thread

Another New Knife Thread

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?

Gyuto, 240mm or 270mm

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

Replacing a 210mm Carbonext. I purely want something longer.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics- Not at all important
    Edge Quality/Retention- Important
    Ease of Use- F&F is important, I don't want to have to do much to a knife other than maybe rounding spines and choils.

What grip do you use?

Pinch

What kind of cutting motion do you use?

Push cutting usually, rarely I'll rock

Where do you store them?

Knife case for the most part

Have you ever oiled a handle?

Yes, but I don't know if I did it right

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?

Plastic ones you find in a pro kitchen mostly.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?

Rod

Have they ever been sharpened?

I'm not sure what this means, but I can sharpen

What is your budget?

200$

What do you cook and how often?

Will be used mostly for making mirepoix and cutting other soft veg

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?

I'm in the UK, something with cheap shipping is good. I'm also a leftie. So far I've been thinking about a Fujiwara FKM, Masamoto HC, MAC Pro, or a Shaun ********* custom. But my list is in no way limited to this, I'm open to any suggestions.

240 Hiro AS at JCK is $161 if you don't want to get another Carbonext. You could also try a Sakai Yusuke at BluewayJapan but I think you'd have to pay import fees on it. Have you ever used a 270? I much prefer them to 240s but they aren't for everyone

The longest I've used is a 10 inch knife, but I have no fear of getting a 270mm. I'm fairly sure I could get used to the length with no problem. I had considered the Hiromoto.

Would another Carbonext be a good choice? I was hoping to get something longer and a slight upgrade, but I'm not sure if its possible with the budget that I have.

Are you looking for stainless or carbon? I really like the fuji fkh, but all your possibilities are stainless, with the exception of the carbo next which is semi stainless.

I'm open to both. I've used carbon Sabatiers in the past and am fully comfortable with the 'extra' maintenance required for them.

Since you are comfortable wt. carbon,the Sakai white steel Yasuki is a very good blade at a price point around 200.00.The Fujiwara FKH is less expensive,a good deal for a non clad carbon knife.

The Fuji's are a little handle heavy,but to me the blade geometry has alot of good points found in Japanese Gyuto's.Not too much rocker,Good taper thin towards the edge.Easy to sharpen.I cannot think of any work knives under 100.00 that I would take over a Fujiwara,that goes for the Stainless & Carbon steel.

Whats the next 'step up' from a Fuji? What point would I start seeing a reasonable improvement in edge retention/sharpness?

You are happy with your 210 Carbonext, so I vote that you get a longer Carbonext.

Frankly, I doubt that you will be happy with a Fujiwara. The SK4 steel is pretty reactive, and the edge retention is inferior to the Carbonext. The Fujiwara's primary attraction is the price.

Rick

Would a MAC Pro be superior to a Carbonext? I also thought that the attraction to that CN was its price.

Quote Originally Posted by rdm_magic View Post
    Would a MAC Pro be superior to a Carbonext? I also thought that the attraction to that CN was its price.
    Someone familiar will have to answer about the MAC Pro. That's one line I have no experience with.

+ Reply to Thread