Another New Knife Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm_magic

Reaction score
What type of knife(s) do you think you want?

Gyuto, 240mm or 270mm

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

Replacing a 210mm Carbonext. I purely want something longer.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- Not at all important
Edge Quality/Retention- Important
Ease of Use- F&F is important, I don't want to have to do much to a knife other than maybe rounding spines and choils.

What grip do you use?

Pinch

What kind of cutting motion do you use?

Push cutting usually, rarely I'll rock

Where do you store them?

Knife case for the most part

Have you ever oiled a handle?

Yes, but I don't know if I did it right

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?

Plastic ones you find in a pro kitchen mostly.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?

Rod

Have they ever been sharpened?

I'm not sure what this means, but I can sharpen

What is your budget?

200$

What do you cook and how often?

Will be used mostly for making mirepoix and cutting other soft veg

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?

I'm in the UK, something with cheap shipping is good. I'm also a leftie. So far I've been thinking about a Fujiwara FKM, Masamoto HC, MAC Pro, or a Shaun ********* custom. But my list is in no way limited to this, I'm open to any suggestions.

240 Hiro AS at JCK is $161 if you don't want to get another Carbonext. You could also try a Sakai Yusuke at BluewayJapan but I think you'd have to pay import fees on it. Have you ever used a 270? I much prefer them to 240s but they aren't for everyone

The longest I've used is a 10 inch knife, but I have no fear of getting a 270mm. I'm fairly sure I could get used to the length with no problem. I had considered the Hiromoto.

Would another Carbonext be a good choice? I was hoping to get something longer and a slight upgrade, but I'm not sure if its possible with the budget that I have.

Are you looking for stainless or carbon? I really like the fuji fkh, but all your possibilities are stainless, with the exception of the carbo next which is semi stainless.

I'm open to both. I've used carbon Sabatiers in the past and am fully comfortable with the 'extra' maintenance required for them.

Since you are comfortable wt. carbon,the Sakai white steel Yasuki is a very good blade at a price point around 200.00.The Fujiwara FKH is less expensive,a good deal for a non clad carbon knife.

The Fuji's are a little handle heavy,but to me the blade geometry has alot of good points found in Japanese Gyuto's.Not too much rocker,Good taper thin towards the edge.Easy to sharpen.I cannot think of any work knives under 100.00 that I would take over a Fujiwara,that goes for the Stainless & Carbon steel.

Whats the next 'step up' from a Fuji? What point would I start seeing a reasonable improvement in edge retention/sharpness?

You are happy with your 210 Carbonext, so I vote that you get a longer Carbonext.

Frankly, I doubt that you will be happy with a Fujiwara. The SK4 steel is pretty reactive, and the edge retention is inferior to the Carbonext. The Fujiwara's primary attraction is the price.

Rick

Would a MAC Pro be superior to a Carbonext? I also thought that the attraction to that CN was its price.

If you want to upgrade from Carbonext,you will have to spend a little more coin.Sakai has a 240 Blue #2 steel Gyuto,western handle 213.00. This knife will get Razor sharp wt. ease.2.2 at the spine.The heat treatment wt. the Sakai carbons is excellent wt. good edge retention.

Quality Japan blades have gone up quite a bit in recent yrs.These Sakai's are a good value for a fine tool.

Is anyone able to answer out of the MAC, Masamoto HC and Carbonext which knife is most likely to make me happy, in terms of being the best all around? What are the strong points + weaknesses of each?

i like MAC pros, but theyre a tad overpriced these days...at $185 for a 240mm i would prefer a kikuichi tkc, misono swedish, a western suisin inox or several knives at blue way japan over a MAC pro. FWIW ive own(ed) both the masamoto hc and the misono swedish and i much prefer the misono.

+1 on kikuichi tkc, misono swedish, a western suisin inox or several knives at blue way japan :D

The mac is a good work horse but not a fun knife and it is not cheap.

Anyone own & use a Kikuichi TKC?I noticed it is semi-stainless,61-62 hrt.I know it has western handle,but how does the steel compare to say a Konosuki HD?With the Kono's recent price hike,looks like a good blade.

I just gave away a older Masamoto HC to one of my coworker's(I am retired now)what is it that you like about the Misono Swedish over the Masa.?:)

Check the BST. There's a Kochi 240 gyuto!!!

How do they compare to the MAC/Masamoto? How thin are they (laser/not)?

How do they compare to the MAC/Masamoto? How thin are they (laser/not)?

the Kochi is medium thick at the spine and thin behind the edge. i've owned a Masamoto KS and my particular Kochi, in its current state, is in general a better cutter, in my opinion, and has less food sticktion.

Is anyone able to answer out of the MAC, Masamoto HC and Carbonext which knife is most likely to make me happy, in terms of being the best all around? What are the strong points + weaknesses of each?

I have no idea what would make others happy but I'm not a fan of the MAC. It's a decent working knife but to me it feels lifeless and it's best atribute is that's it's pretty much a plain Jane working knife. That means it's less likely to take a walk when you look the other way. There's no comparison between a Masamoto HC and KS. The choice gets down to price point and Steel preference.
Now if your the same person that asked about finding a job on CT then I'd say none of the above. If you are going to move on to a new job think about waiting to upgrade until you get in a new kitchen. You never know if your new Chef can get you a discount and maybe you will have an opportunity to handle more knives before you buy.

Dave

rdm, you should definitely jump on that kochi if it isnt spoken for. its a great price for one thing, and it could run circles around all of the other knives mentioned.

Kikuichi TKC is very thin almost laser like, light, cuts very well and sharpen easy but the F&F of the handle is not the best.

Masamoto hc is more heavy, feels like a workhorse, a bit thick, cuts very well too with light wedging on hard veges, handle is good, easy to sharpen, and it is carbon :D

I kept the masamoto and gave the kikuichi to a work friend. when it come to thin knife, ill go for Sakai yusuke not the tkc. so i wanted to have something different :)

the tkc is almost 200$ at that price range you can get sakai yusuke which is a much better knife in my opinion.

The masamoto hc is not worth the 240$ if i had to choose i would go for misono dragon any day !!

Back