Quantcast
HHH Custom Knives, 240 Suji. Damascus and Musk OX horn - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HHH Custom Knives, 240 Suji. Damascus and Musk OX horn

Thanks David. Thats a HUGE complement. I have always looked at Raders handles and been blown away by them. He has a great style and very fine fit and finish! I appreciate the complement!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Randy I really like your handles,not only because they look amazing,the shaping looks to be very comfortable.

Thanks Keith.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Pardon my lack of knowledge,but that Musk Ox horn looks incredible,it must just dance in the light.How do you achieve a marble effect,is part of the horn stripped away before it is shaped & polished.Do these animal horns,bones etc. need to be stabilized like wood?Do you sand it like wood,or is it a science where you approch diff. materials wt. diff. tech?

Sorry for all the questions,I'm just amazed how you seem to combine diff. materials wt. such great results.

Keith. Thanks for the question.

Musk of horn as I get it is a raw material, and comes to me looking nothing like a knife handle we have come to know and love. I start with a whole horn. and from that horn there is a section called the Boss. and its the area right next to the skull. In large Bull Musk ox these grow larger.. These are the pieces that are used for making handles that look like this.

The Boss section is a weird rounded on one side and pointy on the other piece that presents very unique challenges when cutting. From a horn that weighs approx 10 lbs. after all the processing and cutting. you might get 1 lb of usable material of various sizes. Thats why this material is about the highest price handle material we use. It ends up costing more then mammoth ivory etc.

Sanding the material and stabilizing is a trick and takes some time and effort. after its cut. Stabilizing So making it stable are a trick in itself. But it sands like any other horn. and stinks even worst then most!

Bottom line, When everything goes just right, and you get to the final finishing place on this material. It polishes and looks like NOTHING else you can use. Its ere decent and shiny, and smooth and deep figure that catches light and shines like well. Again I can describe it all day and until you have some finished out in hand, you just will never really know how amazing it is. Because pictures only begin to tell the story.

Thanks for lookin
    Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boss and horn on a live musk ox.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	12399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7628.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	427.5 KB 
ID:	12400  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Musk Ox horn 001.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	394.0 KB 
ID:	12401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HHH Kitchen knives 017 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	324.1 KB 
ID:	12402  

Availible Knives

Very cool thanks,it makes appreciating you work & knowledge even more.

My pleasure Keith. Im always willing to try and help others or share this with anyone who is interested and wanting to learn. I am proud of the knowledge and experience I have acquired. Most through trial and error. But none the less.

Thanks for the follow up comment.

Happy new Year to you all and may God Bless you and yours!
    Randy

Availible Knives

Really like the different pins in the handle...

...and that musk ox horn...I can almost feel it in hand.........wow

-Michael

Thanks Chef. This one really had a great feel. and the balance and action on the board was fantastic!

Availible Knives